Offshore at Lakes Entrance

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Re: Offshore at Lakes Entrance

Post by CannonsJS » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:13 am

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 pm
Good advice :tu:

Very simple really, and the information is transferable to most areas spots (outside of the Co-ords) and just a tweak/adjustment for a specific spot.

Most "grounds" aren't confined to a specific GPS Co-ord , , , , just sound around and BINGO, there it is on the sounder , , , , nice ground with fish (if no fish, just pick a nice structure and they shall come)

And you don't "need" hi tech sounders. mine is an Ol black & white job

Lowrie.PNG

And gotta love Slimy as an extra bait, beautifully perfect as a cutlet :tu:

Slimy.JPG

As re-tryred said , , , , no need to crowd other boats
Not sure why we keep saying that , , , , those that know that, don't need to be reminded , , , , AND those that , , , , well they don't care, no matter how many times you say it :(

Cheers, Bugs
True, although as a noob I have found it very helpful to be given some specific info about good places to 'look'. The ocean is a large and featureless place from above the surface. Two weeks ago we decided to go for a look around the rigs and wells to see if we could find some decent fishing grounds in deeper water. Ended up covering 77nmi for not much more than gurnards and swell sharks. lol

I need more practice on my sounder skills as well. Despite the latest gear and some pretty specific info about where they are I haven't been able to see the 26m rocks re-tyred talks about. :oo:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:49 am

Nice report, and well done.
All i can suggest is if your fishing structure , learn to read your sounder really well.
if you have sidescan use it, its a game changer!!!

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:49 am
All i can suggest is if your fishing structure , learn to read your sounder really well.
I've used side scan a little bit. From memory I used it when I was looking for the 26m rocks but it all just looked like sand either side. I'll have a bit more of a play with it next time and see if I can get some better results.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 am

CannonsJS wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 am
purple5ive wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:49 am
I've used side scan a little bit. From memory I used it when I was looking for the 26m rocks but it all just looked like sand either side. I'll have a bit more of a play with it next time and see if I can get some better results.
YEP keep looking mate, do up and down laps of the area in however many meters it is thats showing on your sidescan making sure not to overlap too much. you will find it eventually.
Good luck

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 pm

My sounder is just a Lowrance Elite 5 200/83/435/800khz . A lot of the reefs around Lakes are not very rugged, if there is no fish on them they can be quite hard to see. Out the 4 mile and 6 mile they are a bit more noticeable when travelling north south. They popup from 35 mtr to 30mtr then back down. Down the pipeline in 35mtr and 26mtr they are much harder to see only changing about 1 mtr in depth. There is one off Metung know as the pinnacle or big arse. It comes up about 5mtrs and is the graveyard of hooks and sinkers. Fishes well in the summer months but you need to fish next to it not right on it.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 am

In closer just around 6 mile reef. not a bad batch for 3-4 hours. Flat as.
Attachments
IMG_0976.JPG

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:14 pm

mr smokey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 am
:w:
Welcome mr Smokey :vy:

A very nice batch of fish there

:nfs: :nfs: :nfs:

Well done, Lov ya work. Nice punchy first post AND with a photo. Gotta love photos

Cheers, Bugs

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:29 pm

CannonsJS wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:13 am
Bugatti wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Most "grounds" aren't confined to a specific GPS Co-ord , , , , just sound around and BINGO, there it is on the sounder , , , , nice ground with fish (if no fish, just pick a nice structure and they shall come

As re-tryred said , , , , no need to crowd other boats
Not sure why we keep saying that , , , , those that know that, don't need to be reminded , , , , AND those that , , , , well they don't care, no matter how many times you say it :(

Cheers, Bugs
True, although as a noob I have found it very helpful to be given some specific info about good places to 'look'. The ocean is a large and featureless place from above the surface. Two weeks ago we decided to go for a look around the rigs and wells to see if we could find some decent fishing grounds in deeper water. Ended up covering 77nmi for not much more than gurnards and swell sharks. lol
Forgot to reply to this

Cannons, you are far from a noob (I know, I am one :-D )

You did good. And agree, being pointed in the right direction is what it's all about. Helping out with info to a fellow Fisho is good.

You then took that info as a bench mark and searched around, which then gave you some more knowledge and new found grounds :tu:

Rather than being spoon fed , , , , you took advice/direction, and fed yourself :tu:

Cheers, Bugs

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:21 pm

mr smokey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 am
Nice one. That's a great catch! I'm hanging to get out again but just a bit too busy atm. Hopefully in the next week or so.
Do you eat the couta or keep it for bait?

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:12 pm

Bait. Got another couple that worked very well filleted on the pinkies. Bit of an added thrill. 7 gill broad nose came for a stick beak then tootled off.
Attachments
IMG_2488.jpg
IMG_2487.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”