Swordfish

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Swordfish

Post by re-tyred » Sat May 16, 2020 4:11 pm

There must have been 150 boats at the ramps in Lakes this morning. Great Autumn weather and everyone keen after the fishing ban.
This young fella had a good day.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-16 at 15.17.45.jpeg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Swordfish

Post by Texas » Sun May 17, 2020 2:20 pm

Wouldn't fit in your boat retyred
He's got some big bragging rights
Gra

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun May 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Don’t think too many could boast they’ve caught a fish bigger than them. Props to the young fella

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Seems like almost one a day at the moment.
The brother-in-law and I are starting to think about heading out next year to try and get one.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Be next season before we head out again I reckon.
It's a very technical form of fishing, there's a shitload involved, but it is very exciting. I reckon one of the main issues is simply how bloody far from land it us.
When you're a hundred nautical miles from land, you are a long way from help.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:50 am

CarlG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:56 pm
It's a very technical form of fishing, there's a shitload involved, but it is very exciting. I reckon one of the main issues is simply how bloody far from land it us.
We went out there on Wednesday. It was ridiculously calm. Ended up east of Halibut rig in 500mtrs. Didn't do any good. Still a steep learning curve for us. That is out thrid trip in 2 years. Best we have done is land a blue eye trevally and hook up something big, that took 2 hrs to get up out of 800mtrs only to drop it 50mtrs to go.
There was one caught and a few Harpuka (cod) caught by other boats. Noticed a lot of School shark frames at the cleaning area. I am guessing they were caught out there too.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:50 am
CarlG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:56 pm
We went out there on Wednesday. It was ridiculously calm. Ended up east of Halibut rig in 500mtrs. Didn't do any good. Still a steep learning curve for us. That is out thrid trip in 2 years. Best we have done is land a blue eye trevally and hook up something big, that took 2 hrs to get up out of 800mtrs only to drop it 50mtrs to go.
There was one caught and a few Harpuka (cod) caught by other boats. Noticed a lot of School shark frames at the cleaning area. I am guessing they were caught out there too.
Yeah, similar story mate. We had a few trips out last year, hooked up twice, first was a monstrous thing. 5 and a half hours on the rod and it broke the surface, we all freaked out. It then did a straight 4 and a half minute, 600mtr dive, pulling 22kg's of drag after 5.45 hours. In the end, we had to cut it off, as we were in competition, and had a radio check to make, and we were waaaaaaaaaaay outsode of contact range.
Second fish came up fairly trouble free, only for everything to go slack with the wind on on site. Disappointing is one word for it.
The search goes on next season.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:51 pm

re-tyred wrote:

We went out there on Wednesday. It was ridiculously calm. Ended up east of Halibut rig in 500mtrs. Didn't do any good.

Still a steep learning curve for us.

That is out thrid trip in 2 years.
CarlG wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm

We had a few trips out last year, hooked up twice

first was a monstrous thing. 5 and a half hours on the rod and it broke the surface, we all freaked out. It then did a straight 4 and a half minute, 600mtr dive, pulling 22kg's of drag after 5.45 hours. In the end, we had to cut it off, as we were in competition, and had a radio check to make, and we were waaaaaaaaaaay outsode of contact range.

Second fish came up fairly trouble free, only for everything to go slack with the wind on on site. Disappointing is one word for it.

You guys are living our dreams :tu:

Now I know bugga all about anything that needs a hideous amount of drag BUT

can I make a suggestion , , , , one of these Penn Ocean Assassin Rods

Penn 1.JPG

Now, like I said, I have bugga all knowledge about Swords BUT

I'm going with that old saying

"The Penn is mightier than the Sword" :-D

Penn 2.JPG

Cheers, Bugs

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am

Sam Guy. A hell of a nice young bloke. Keen as mustard and catches fish. I hate it when youngsters are better than me at fishing :( :( :( :-D :gj:
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:51 pm
re-tyred wrote:

We went out there on Wednesday. It was ridiculously calm. Ended up east of Halibut rig in 500mtrs. Didn't do any good.

Still a steep learning curve for us.

That is out thrid trip in 2 years.
CarlG wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm

We had a few trips out last year, hooked up twice

first was a monstrous thing. 5 and a half hours on the rod and it broke the surface, we all freaked out. It then did a straight 4 and a half minute, 600mtr dive, pulling 22kg's of drag after 5.45 hours. In the end, we had to cut it off, as we were in competition, and had a radio check to make, and we were waaaaaaaaaaay outsode of contact range.

You guys are living our dreams :tu:

Now I know bugga all about anything that needs a hideous amount of drag BUT

can I make a suggestion , , , , one of these Penn Ocean Assassin Rods

Penn 1.JPG

Now, like I said, I have bugga all knowledge about Swords BUT

I'm going with that old saying

"The Penn is mightier than the Sword" :-D

Penn 2.JPG

Cheers, Bugs
How about a Sabre 37kg bent butt, with alps hardware especially put together for chasing swords.?
And a tiagra 50w loaded with Jerry Brown hollow, and a 37kg momoi top shot.?

We do have a fair idea what we're doing Bugatti, you don't take a peashooter when you're fishing a hundred nautical miles from shore.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”