Sea Spray/ Golden Beach Fishing

Rum Bear 86

Sea Spray/ Golden Beach Fishing

Post by Rum Bear 86 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Been down there a few times at different times of the year and have found the best times were around the queens bday weekend we caught a few good salmon and even bagged a few elephant sharks, the next time was labour day in march i admit i didnt much fishing that weekend more drinkin' but a mate of mine keep catching gummy shark pups during that weekend. And the last time I went down was october last year and the best we could manage then were baby leopard sharks.
So my question is what is the best time of year to go and what are you most likely to catch?

Cheers
:shark:

ratbag

Re: Sea Spray/ Golden Beach Fishing

Post by ratbag » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:25 pm

RB, I fish there on a regular basis all year.

Winter: gummies, salmon, taylor
Summer: gummies, flatties, schoolies, odd h-head,
All year: skate!

It can go off if the trawlers have rested it for a while, however it usually takes 2-3 weeks to recover when they drag the arz out of the ocean, they start near the marine park at merrrimans creek and go to lakes Ent. Best times to fish, either side of the full or new moon. If you have a yak to take a bait past the breakers, you'll improve your catch. There is 20km of beach to fish, stop in at flamingo or glomar beach for a gutter to fish when you're next down.

Slugs in winter & bait in summer

Hope it helps
quid est quod eum

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Re: Sea Spray/ Golden Beach Fishing

Post by re-tyred » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:27 am

They would most likely be shark mesh net boats, not trawlers. Trawlers work much further off shore than you can see from the beach. Shark mesh netters would be chasing gummies and swordshark around the full moon. They don't catch much else as they use 6 inch mesh.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”