Offshore fishing at lakes entrance

Raptor

Re: Offshore fishing at lakes entrance

Post by Raptor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Its not the size of the boat that matters but the competency of the skipper. I would much prefer being in a 5m boat with an experienced and competent skipper out over the shelf when the weather turns nasty than in a 7m boat with guys who are novices. Going over any bar is a risk, even when your in a game boat or large commercial vessel, its the guy at the wheel which makes the difference.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:34 am

Raptor wrote:Its not the size of the boat that matters but the competency of the skipper. I would much prefer being in a 5m boat with an experienced and competent skipper out over the shelf when the weather turns nasty than in a 7m boat with guys who are novices. Going over any bar is a risk, even when your in a game boat or large commercial vessel, its the guy at the wheel which makes the difference.
That's very true, although I'd go as far as to say the #1 governing factor is always the sea & not the boat/skipper. We just aint that much in control, no matter what experience or boat we have.
However, as stated, a person's also got to know & respect the limitations of his gear.
The boat I've got is basically a runabout, a pretty good one, but still not an offshore designed boat.
It does ok under the right circumstances, but there's some things it just aint designed (or built) to do.
I've fished offshore with it under the right circumstances, and even crossed the odd bar, again under the right circumstances, but it aint an oiffshore boat capable of crossing the more testing bars & I won't pretend it is.
When it comes to bar crossings I'll err on the side of safety rather than attempt what the boat aint designed for.
Fish just aint worth chancing lives for. There's plent of fish elsewhere.

Bill.

Homebrewpig

Post by Homebrewpig » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 pm

I am heading out the front of Lakes tommorrow so I hope to be the bearer of good news.
Keep it Stiff

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 pm

I wil be out there but doing a dredge spoil ground survey... rather be fishing, would need to own a boat for that :( oh well that is life.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Let us know how you go

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:29 pm

R-T .. You're a legend IMO. :thumbsup:

Great post with full of knowledge and tips. We are all gratefull that you're a member and happy to share the experience with all of us.

Will remember to touch base with you if I am planning to head down to Lake Entrance.

Keep up the great work - both as a cost guard volunteer and a forum member. Looking forward to reading your next post.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Homebrewpig

Post by Homebrewpig » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Fished the six mile reef this today, a few gurnard, a few draught board sharks, and six small pinkies in the boat. Water temp was 14 degrees.
Keep it Stiff

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Excellent to see the water temp starting to move. Was a bit windy from the NW out there today. Good to see something showing. Did you get the marks I sent you for the 4mile and 5 mile?
W STHCN0 S37°57.6946' E147°57.6034' 010 Fish I E 0.0 STHCNRIN

W STCNRO S37°58.6766' E147°57.4056' 010 Fish I E 0.0 STCNROUT
PAS S38°04.5002' E147°50.5005' 000 pasadena reef I E 0.0 PAS

Pasedena reef is one not many people know about. It is way to the west of the main reef and quite hard to find. You will have difficulty locating it with the sounder as it is small.The position I have is converted from radar marks so it will be within about 100mtrs of it.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Despatch lakes entrance small.jpg
Despatch lakes entrance small.jpg (228.15 KiB) Viewed 1993 times

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:20 pm

That is a sidescan sonar image of the despatch, a coastal trader in the late 1800'S. It is located about 50mtrs off the eastern rockwall and lays back towards the centre of the channel. You can see the deep hole on your sounder when you are right at the end of the rockwalls. Image taken today
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11620505
argus article 1911 101 years ago last week

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”