KGW Gippsland Lakes

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by mr smokey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:33 pm

Pirkz, not a cheap process for a "button". I ended up with the least expensive option of a gypsy winch on my Whittley. That was something I could fit myself. Any of the drum type ones were/are outside the allowable limit of The Chancellor of the Exchequer :(
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Pirkz
Has liked: 232 times

Post by Pirkz » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:33 pm

Short story short.....Fished 1030-1430 today in the usual spots i.e Shaving Point area and Nungurner mostly for nowt - other than a small ling thingy
(I think) around 500g and a few small pinkies. Disappointing after all the KGW that have come out recently. Must remember not to promise fish to people prior to launching ,as its always the kiss of death on results.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 57 times

Post by Elmer Stratty » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:01 pm

Any sand whiting getting caught? We’re after some for bait, heading up Tuesday.

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:29 am

School whiting try spot in screen shot. Very small hook tiny piece of squid. I use a sabiki rig . Just bait the bottom 2 hooks. These sabikis work the best. I cut them in half and make 2 rigs. Use them for KGWs too
Attachments
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (7.87 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Screenshot_20220124-092242.png
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 57 times

Post by Elmer Stratty » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:31 am

Thanks Re-tyred- we’ll definitely check those spots out. I’ve never thought of a sabiki rig for whiting. I’ve only used them for slimeys and yakkas so I’m keen to test it out. Thanks again.

E

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 pm

Gave the KGWs a go today. Left before daylight as I wanted to up to Wollaston bank for a look. It was thick fog. At times had to slow down as visibility was down to maybe 50mtrs. Got to Woolston bank just as it was becoming light. Spent an hour there without a bite. So up anchor ⚓ and back to Nungurner. No bites there either. Oh well just head down to the mob at Kalimna bank. Idled thru the mob, no one getting anything, but stopped in 3mtrs and cast them in. Nothing for 20 minutes. I noticed one guy catch one a bit further up the bank, so I lifted the anchor and drifted with the ebb tide till I was in 2 mtrs. Dropped the anchor and threw them in. Bam! Straight away. Definitely a whiting bite. Up came a nice 33cm one. 10 minutes and there are 4 in the Esky. Then a cpl of bigger ones. Bit quiet for 20 minutes. Then 2 more. A few others close by were getting some. Then it all stopped. I figured 8 was a pretty good feed so headed in for morning tea. Had them for dinner. Can't beat fresh KGWs. :-D
Attachments
IMG_20220125_111031_6.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:41 pm

Nice mate.
So true about not being able to beat fresh kgw fillets!
Cheers 👍🏻

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:04 pm

Out again today. Pretty much a carbon copy of Tuesday. 8 KGWs. I went a bit earlier, but all I got early was dble headers of small salmon. The place was alive with them. Kept a few for offshore bait. KGWs didn't come on till the flood Tide eased.They were biting pretty consistent around slack water, but 8 was enough, and it was getting hot. Went home for morning tea. I'll give them another crack Sunday or Monday

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:23 am

The Barrier is the go now. 2-3 mtrs north side of the green markers

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:37 pm

Bit slow this morning. Managed three big KGWs at the Barrier and six medium size off Nyerimalang bank. Dropped a few due to bad management. Seems running sinkers are the go in the shallow water. Squid for bait. I need to get some prawn to try.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”