Post by denis barden » Wed May 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Kool Katch

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by yepi'mon » Sun May 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Pirkz wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:00 pm
Well sharing is caring.....and on that note.....Fished Mon & Tue 11-3pm ish. Monday launched in Paynesville south of Raymond Island and fished a few spots in Wollaston Bay en route to the anticipated catch zone abeam the northern end of the Island. Nothing doing despite multiple moves in various depths 1.4 - 2m. Eventually fished an old marker point at the northern end of the Bay in 1.9 and after a slow start ended up with 11 keepers 35-40 cm. Bite improved when I switched from a running trace and size 4 circle hook rig to a 3 hook sabiki paternoster rig baited with 1-2 cm pieces of squid. Lost a couple of bigger fish as the gape of the rather small hooks pulled open a couple of times as I tried to bully the fish in - lesson learnt. 7 given away and 4 kept. And with so little fish in the fridge and another balmy day forecast, Tuesday afloat (again) was a forgone conclusion. Headed over to Shaving Point for a change of scenery, and despite moving to half a dozen of the previous hotspots, couldn't lose a bait. Decided to give a random spot just past the red markers opposite the northern end of Raymond Island on the Metung side, a quick fish en route back to Mondays productive mark. Chose an area in 2m showing some weed and after a bit of a wait was more than pleased (ecstatic actually) to get a small toady like tap tap on the multi hook sabiki rig which turned out to be not one but two KGW - 38 & 32 -the smaller one of which was released. Over the following 40 mins only managed one more @ 38. Always nice to catch in a new area, especially after a slow start. But 1 hr in and with no improvement in the bite rate i.e. no activity whatsoever, one last move was required to finish the day with 7 KGW 36-40 CM - with most being caught on the sabiki rig tactic using small baits. 3 kept 4 donated - Should be afloat today as I type this up as it will no doubt be the last of this glorious autumnal weather for a while (probably next autumn!). Thought Id include a screen shot showing the marks mentioned in the previous posts as well as this one.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Those marks is the area I gave a crack for no luck… but good to know instincts were right… just timing off.

I found the weed beds much different to western port bay. Very thick and in much shallower water. Hard to find sand patches to fish.

Pirkz
Has liked: 132 times

Post by Pirkz » Mon May 09, 2022 11:15 am

Shame that but yep, water is cooling and it'll be a game of Where's Wally The Whiting from now on after reading last years reports from page 4 onwards.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 40 times

Post by Elmer Stratty » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:27 pm

After a false start with the boat today….air lock in fuel line…thankfully still on the trailer and not 2kms from the ramp….we checked Nungurner and Nyerimilang. Not much happening at Nungurner. A few good fish on the sounder that we couldn’t entice. At Nyerimilang we used berley for one salmon…pretty quiet indeed. At least we gave the boat a good on water work out ready for and off shore adventure.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”