Mixed bag

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Mixed bag

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 14, 2021 4:43 am

They are just by catch. They do seem to go for fresh fillets more than squid. Just the same rig as bait fishing for flathead.. Off lakes they are mostly found in the deeper water 45mts out to the shelf.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Post by Pirkz » Fri May 14, 2021 10:15 am

Hi re-tyred. Nice report thanks. Almost a mirror of my experience last week. Be interested to know where that patch of gravel is for my next outing up that way as soon as the weather looks ' comfortable'! (I have subscribed to the Navionics app). Agree that gurnard are a nice bycatch and actually put up a bit of a fight above their weight on light gear - so good sport. Found em easy to fillet and skin just get a firm grip and be careful, and quite tasty so will keep in future. I went down to McLaughlin's Beach with my fishing offsider yesterday morning to fish an incoming tide in amongst the sand flats and at the entrance. Target was salmon on SP's. Poor day fish wise . Only caught about a dozen fish all up incl the usual suspects of salmon, trevally flathead and a lone tailor, all on bait and all undersize. And that was between the 2 of us. A couple of other boats were out but noticed that we all appeared to be playing 'musical boats' - i.e moving numerous times throughout the day. Re catching gurnard.. IME generally note that around the Lakes / Nungurner area I often catch them on the bottom hook of a paternoster as they sort of skulk about on or close the bottom . Bait of choice for me is squid.

ango

Post by ango » Sat May 15, 2021 8:35 pm

I am hoping to make the trip to Lakes as soon a the weather settles and I have a day free. At this time of year what is best, inside the lake around the islands for whiting, too cold for flatties I would think, or offshore at six mile or closer inshore at Pines?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 16, 2021 3:25 am

I would give the six mile a shot if the weather is good. Whiting are getting scarce now. Possibly a gummy at the Pines. Salmon around the entrance is worth a look. You can usually see the patch if it is calm.
I will be going wide of the six mile if the weather lets me this week. Looking for pinkies and mowong.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed May 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Well weather was still a bit fresh for offshore, so I went back to Nungurner for another mixed bag. It was a nice morning out on the lake.
Attachments
IMG_20210519_113348_0.jpg

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 19, 2021 8:45 pm

is that more latchet?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu May 20, 2021 4:35 am

Yeah they are thick at the moment. Some of them have prawns in their gut. Prawns must be schooling up in the channel to head to sea. My guess is the prawns will be gone shortly.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Thu May 20, 2021 5:01 pm

Fished Nungurner on Tues and caught a similar mixed bag. Probably 20 or so KGW. Kept 9 KGW and returned a few others of size along with some gurnard as I didnt need to keep them for the freezer. Also fished the same spot today with a mate and was pleased to get 10 species all up. Most undersize but several KGW would have been keepers around the 30 cm mark. Plenty of sand whiting and a few undersize flathead along with some gurnard, palm sized pinky snapper, a salmon, a tailor, 2 trevally and a few yakkas/mackeral thingies. Good to see a healthy variety of fish . All were returned today (even the keepers) as pork roast for T! And ....there's always tomorrow to catch some fresh KGW/ Gurnard (famous last words).

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Elmer Stratty » Fri May 21, 2021 5:12 pm

Great report gents - we’re having a crack off shore tomorrow so hopefully get a feed. Then we’ll come in to Nungurner to try our luck. I’m thinking of trying some cooked peeled prawn which we caught near the Tambo a month or so back for whiting.

E

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 pm

kgw2.jpg
Deja vu. Despite putting my back out yesterday and spending the day very quietly wishing it was Saturday already, I just couldn't face playing cards with the dog all day today so Tinnyed up and headed out to tease the residents of Nungurner once more (albeit looing a bit like the hunchback of Notre Dame ( I couldnt stand up straight at the time). Fished a couple of spots and caught a few of the usual suspects on squid (felt better already) but the catch rate was relatively slow so eventually ended up back at X marks the spot =- opposite Nungurner jetties (navionics app very handy again to position accurately). Coupla hours saw a pb KGW at just on 40cm and a load of others 25-30cm - most returned. - plus a variety of other small stuff. Noticed most boats anchored up opposite Nyerimilang so be interested to know if and what they were catching.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”