Portsea and Sorrento Pier

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Portsea and Sorrento Pier

Post by mazman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:15 am

Hey guys,

A couple of weeks back I did a trip down the peninsula to test out a new IR camera and collect some bait with my mate Ryan, who has been doing very well on the snapper in WP. We ended up having a crazy session on the cowanyoung and tommies picking up over 50 between us on plastics, with a couple of pike and a squid thrown in for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fECqYXG-rmA

For this style of fishing a 1-3kg rod with a 2000/2500 reel is definitely preferred just to cast the light plastics and feel whats going on. For the plastics themselves you can get away with something like a zman slim swims or grub but your results definitely improve when you down size your plastic and jighead to something under 2" with a super skinny in profile matched up with a size 4 or size 6 jighead around 1 gram. There's definitely no right way to move your plastic, the biggest thing to consider is working multiple parts of the water column when you're searching and then targeting that depth once you find them.

I hope you enjoyed the video and if you've got any questions about this style of fishing fire away.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Re: Portsea and Sorrento Pier

Post by wishtofish » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am

Always loved going down to Sorrento, just has seemed to not fish as good as it used to, might have to give it another go. :gj:

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Just bought some jiggle fishing soft plastics. They look durable so will give them a try, thanks mate

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Have you tried fishing with a 3-5g slug? The Yakks in NSW just inhale them.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mazman

Post by mazman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:05 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 pm
Have you tried fishing with a 3-5g slug? The Yakks in NSW just inhale them.
Never gone that small on the metals before, imagine they would work quite well. The mini plastics are more for when they aren't quite on, I move them fairly slow and shake it in their face basically to get the eat

mazman

Post by mazman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am
Always loved going down to Sorrento, just has seemed to not fish as good as it used to, might have to give it another go. :gj:
It still fishes well but I do agree that it used to be better. That area for me is by far the most consistent for landbased lure fishing in ppb although that could also be how long I've spent learning it as well

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:45 pm

That looked like a great fun session mate.
Enjoyed the vid!
Cheers 👍🏻

wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Post by wishtofish » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 pm

mazman wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm
wishtofish wrote:
It still fishes well but I do agree that it used to be better. That area for me is by far the most consistent for landbased lure fishing in ppb although that could also be how long I've spent learning it as well
Yeah would agree, used to catch a lot of trevally casting between the pylons, any idea if they're still around?

mazman

Post by mazman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:29 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 pm
mazman wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm
wishtofish wrote:
Yeah would agree, used to catch a lot of trevally casting between the pylons, any idea if they're still around?
I haven't heard of many in the last few years. They used to be fairly common at both blairgowrie and sorrento

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”