Portsea Pier 2/3/19

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
whambamsam
Has liked: 12 times

Portsea Pier 2/3/19

Post by whambamsam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:41 am

Popped down to Portsea Pier after having no luck at Flinders last week (tried to replicate my results from my first trip down to Flinders).

Fair few undersized pinkies, and just as the sun started to set the squid started coming out. Really frustrating tonight as you could literally see them in the water, nothing huge but some reasonable sized ones. They pretty much all refused to come onto the jigs, mainly staring at it then approaching very slowly, only to just leave it or maybe hit it lightly and then jet off.

Tried switching between 3 - 2.5 - 2s, various colours too. Only had one semi-decent hit but it came off almost instantly as well. Tried some advice I'd seen here or somewhere else about dropping the jig in behind the squid and letting it dive - no luck. Most of the time actually the squid would come closer if I simply slow reeled in the jig, any sort of twitch action and they would run off.

Any tips for catching timid squid?

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Portsea Pier 2/3/19

Post by matari » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 am

i find with timid squid you have to work your jig slower, if you have any 3.0 slow sinks i wouldve used them so it has more time to attack it on the fall. maybe even try a warm jacket jig. i usually let the jig sit on the bottom for about 4 seconds for timid squid and then do a couple of small hops. Cheers Matari

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 am

I would try smaller jig, because like matari said, slower sinking rate.
Use thinner fluorocarbon leader etc. Squid has big eyes! They see everything! Especially when no wind and the water is clear etc.

Also, try throwing soft plastic, to them the soft plastic looks more realistic. Treble on the soft plastic helps too. When they hit, feed some line first before pulling. Put scent thing too so they hold on longer.
Happened to me once, then when i changed to soft plastic the squids were more interested and actually taking it.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:23 am

Very interesting - first I've heard about using soft plastics for squids. Just the usual curly tail on the jig head?
Seb85 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 am
Use thinner fluorocarbon leader etc. Squid has big eyes! They see everything! Especially when no wind and the water is clear etc.

Also, try throwing soft plastic, to them the soft plastic looks more realistic. Treble on the soft plastic helps too. When they hit, feed some line first before pulling. Put scent thing too so they hold on longer.
Happened to me once, then when i changed to soft plastic the squids were more interested and actually taking it.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:26 pm

whambamsam wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:23 am
Very interesting - first I've heard about using soft plastics for squids. Just the usual curly tail on the jig head?
Seb85 wrote:

Yup, or the paddle tail. 100mm or 110mm squidgy plastics should do.
I remember I watched ifish episode when Paul caught a squid on fly.
Unweighted pilchard or unweighted whiting will do too.
The challenge with plastics is to hook them with the single hook, much harder than multi hook squid prong. Hence, if you could, attach a treble hook too.

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Cool - will definitely remember that for the future!
Seb85 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:26 pm
whambamsam wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:23 am
Seb85 wrote:

Yup, or the paddle tail. 100mm or 110mm squidgy plastics should do.
I remember I watched ifish episode when Paul caught a squid on fly.
Unweighted pilchard or unweighted whiting will do too.
The challenge with plastics is to hook them with the single hook, much harder than multi hook squid prong. Hence, if you could, attach a treble hook too.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:27 am

G'day whambamsam

Not that this method can be pulled out of a hat on a Jetty with out pre-planning but the "teaser method" works reasonably well when fishing for squid, especially if they are timid. An unweighted fish (Tommie/Aussie Herring or a little Silver Whiting) tied (through the eyes) to a line and let float sway in the water. When a Squid grabs it, slowly bring in the Squid to the surface and then pull the fish out of the water and quickly plonk a Squid Jag next to the Squid, it should grab it with vigour. If I remember and bring fish, I use this method as a second line in the water, and it works quietly while you fish with the jag as well.

Cheers, Bugatti

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:11 am

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:27 am
G'day whambamsam

Not that this method can be pulled out of a hat on a Jetty with out pre-planning but the "teaser method" works reasonably well when fishing for squid, especially if they are timid. An unweighted fish (Tommie/Aussie Herring or a little Silver Whiting) tied (through the eyes) to a line and let float sway in the water. When a Squid grabs it, slowly bring in the Squid to the surface and then pull the fish out of the water and quickly plonk a Squid Jag next to the Squid, it should grab it with vigour. If I remember and bring fish, I use this method as a second line in the water, and it works quietly while you fish with the jag as well.

Cheers, Bugatti
Nice trick there Bugatti. Never thought of that.

I wonder that for sometime. Sometimes when a squid miss one bait/jig they hit the second one without hesitation. Especially when they're in pair for spawning.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:20 am

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:11 am
Bugatti wrote:
G'day whambamsam

Cheers, Bugatti

I wonder that for sometime. Sometimes when a squid miss one bait/jig they hit the second one without hesitation. Especially when they're in pair for spawning.

It not only helps with timid squid but also squid fishing in general. I always try to have a teaser out or a sleeper jag in the water. Especially if I'm fishing off a Jetty. As we retrieve the squid jag closer and closer, a squid may be following it (that we may not know or see it) but not take the squid jag. Then what do we do when the squid jag gets to us , , , , reel it up and cast it far away , , , , far away from the squid that we didn't know was fallowing our jag. So the teaser or sleeper jag that is close would pick up that squid , , , , in-lieu of not having a teaser or sleeper jag in the water on a Jetty and as a result, we brought that squid in and someone else catches it.

But also, for like what you mentioned the pairs. Bringing in one squid, sometimes another squid follows (mainly because he wasn't allowed to go to the Squid Pub with Occy, but had to go with Mrs Squid to SquidKea and pick out Coral Decorations) but yeah, that following squid gets caught on the teaser or sleeper jag and not handed to an opportunistic stranger on the Jetty (also, that's when Mr Squid wishes he was at the squid Pub with Occy and not following)

Seb85 wrote:
Sometimes when a squid miss one bait/jig they hit the second one without hesitation. Especially when they're in pair for spawning.
That is a good point, that is something about squid that didn't occur to me, they would be in pairs when spawning

Squid-time-two.jpg

Mind you, we always eat when we are in pairs spawning

valentine's dinner 2.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Hahaha great insights. Very true about squid following jigs as you retrieve, and then you not noticing. I caught my first squid in that exact same way ~ looked down and realised one had been following it in, so then just dropped in a jig and instantly got the hit.

Will definitely try that teaser method if I have any bait fish handy in the future.
Bugatti wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:20 am
Seb85 wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
G'day whambamsam

Cheers, Bugatti

It not only helps with timid squid but also squid fishing in general. I always try to have a teaser out or a sleeper jag in the water. Especially if I'm fishing off a Jetty. As we retrieve the squid jag closer and closer, a squid may be following it (that we may not know or see it) but not take the squid jag. Then what do we do when the squid jag gets to us , , , , reel it up and cast it far away , , , , far away from the squid that we didn't know was fallowing our jag. So the teaser or sleeper jag that is close would pick up that squid , , , , in-lieu of not having a teaser or sleeper jag in the water on a Jetty and as a result, we brought that squid in and someone else catches it.

But also, for like what you mentioned the pairs. Bringing in one squid, sometimes another squid follows (mainly because he wasn't allowed to go to the Squid Pub with Occy, but had to go with Mrs Squid to SquidKea and pick out Coral Decorations) but yeah, that following squid gets caught on the teaser or sleeper jag and not handed to an opportunistic stranger on the Jetty (also, that's when Mr Squid wishes he was at the squid Pub with Occy and not following)

Seb85 wrote:
Sometimes when a squid miss one bait/jig they hit the second one without hesitation. Especially when they're in pair for spawning.
That is a good point, that is something about squid that didn't occur to me, they would be in pairs when spawning

Squid-time-two.jpg

Mind you, we always eat when we are in pairs spawning

valentine's dinner 2.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”