Black Magic Squid Snatchers - opinions?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Black Magic Squid Snatchers - opinions?

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:46 pm

Entering the Squid Mania prior to Snapper season :) Looking to add to my small 2.5 & 3.0 collection larger 3.5 squid jigs.
Spotted the Squid Snatchers for $10 across the range - is that "too cheap"?
Thinking these or Yamashita? Just for yak drifting, casting distance isn't much of a factor. Just hoping fatter 3.5 jigs = fatter squid!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Black Magic Squid Snatchers - opinions?

Post by purple5ive » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Black magic are ok jigs, I've got a few and they catch squid no worries.
Fatter 3.5 jigs doesn't necessarily mean bigger fatter squid. Most of my big squid that have ranged from sizes 35-47cm hoods have all been on size 3.0 jigs

Look into rui jigs too, for a similar price its got lot more colours and models to choose from.

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:10 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:02 pm
Black magic are ok jigs, I've got a few and they catch squid no worries.
Fatter 3.5 jigs doesn't necessarily mean bigger fatter squid. Most of my big squid that have ranged from sizes 35-47cm hoods have all been on size 3.0 jigs

Look into rui jigs too, for a similar price its got lot more colours and models to choose from.
I've had reasonable success with 2.5's, just wanted to try larger jigs and by all means larger jigs don't mean larger squid.
On the other hand I'm a little concerned with larger jigs' sink rate - more of a chance of snagging while drifting? I usually have one rod in holder while flicking the other.
I don't mind the idea of a "fat" jig with weight reduced (Land and Bay Fishing YT).

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:28 pm

Different sizes for different conditions in shallow water I use smaller jigs in deeper larger jigs . So many things come into it current type of sea bed weed .
Around portarlington I use size #3 in depths 2mt to 4 mt gives me longer in the zone above 4mt depth I go to #3.5.
There is not much current here when I go to queenscliff I change the jig with the speed of the current in close. I also fish deep using a paternoster rig 2 jigs with lead weight getting them down or a baited spike jig depends on the day.
I used to use primarily yamashita jigs but recently been using harimitsu jigs. I carry on my boat 4 boxes of jigs rui, daiwa, shimano, gancraft they all catch squid on their day the biggest thing is the rod in my hand being worked will always outfish the rod being trailed during the drift

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:33 pm

Nude up wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:28 pm
Different sizes for different conditions in shallow water I use smaller jigs in deeper larger jigs . So many things come into it current type of sea bed weed .
Around portarlington I use size #3 in depths 2mt to 4 mt gives me longer in the zone above 4mt depth I go to #3.5.
There is not much current here when I go to queenscliff I change the jig with the speed of the current in close. I also fish deep using a paternoster rig 2 jigs with lead weight getting them down or a baited spike jig depends on the day.
I used to use primarily yamashita jigs but recently been using harimitsu jigs. I carry on my boat 4 boxes of jigs rui, daiwa, shimano, gancraft they all catch squid on their day the biggest thing is the rod in my hand being worked will always outfish the rod being trailed during the drift
I'll keep a close "count" on my stationary rod and flicking rod. I think had just as many hits on the "troll" as flicking - but this may be due to drift / wave action of the kayak (vs boat action) too - in a way it's jigging by itself.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:40 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:33 pm
Nude up wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:28 pm
I'll keep a close "count" on my stationary rod and flicking rod. I think had just as many hits on the "troll" as flicking - but this may be due to drift / wave action of the kayak (vs boat action) too - in a way it's jigging by itself.
That is probably true my boat is quite tall and any wind the speed can get to the point I have to put the drouge out to slow down. Or anchor.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:05 am

In the last year I've been using th$5 jigs gilles brand I think in white black and gold colours and they work great especially the gold and black around Clifton springs and St.leonards

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:08 am

I have few jigs with diff colours and diff brands. End up always using the same 3 or four jigs. I gave up thinking, just keep changing and casting until I get some.
Lol
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 am

I have previously found the cloth on Black magic jigs to not be as durable as other brands.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:51 pm

Sebb wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:08 am
I have few jigs with diff colours and diff brands. End up always using the same 3 or four jigs. I gave up thinking, just keep changing and casting until I get some.
Lol
Ditto Seb
Can be fussy buggers

Return to “Squid Fishing”