Fishing on Monday morning

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Catchsomething

Fishing on Monday morning

Post by Catchsomething » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:35 pm

Hey guys, with our piers getting hammered during the weekends, what is your experience with fishing on Monday morning? If a group smashed it let`s say on Sunday or Sunday night, can this potentially affect the number of squids that are in the area or it doesn`t really matter?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Fishing on Monday morning

Post by Sebb » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:31 am

Catchsomething wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:35 pm
Hey guys, with our piers getting hammered during the weekends, what is your experience with fishing on Monday morning? If a group smashed it let`s say on Sunday or Sunday night, can this potentially affect the number of squids that are in the area or it doesn`t really matter?
I'd say yes. But there's probably other factors too.
E.g. aussie salmon can be very mobile, they can be anywhere on any days.

Squid moves around too, but not as mobile as aussie salmon. So if the spot hammered Sunday night, then I'd say Monday morning can be hard to catch them.

We never know for sure though. Coz there might be baitfish moving in close to the pier Monday morning and the squid follow them.

Best is just to give it a go ;-)
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:32 am

Squid aren't the smartest creature in the water, I would say they will be there monday and most of the time. I remember when lived in Rye, the guys on the pier would sleep there and catch them all day and night

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:44 am

This is a great question, and the behaviour of calamari really depends on a multitude of factors.
From experience, I've found that if the calamari are actively hunting and being caught the evening before, they won't be as active the following morning. Fishing pressure does also affect their behaviour, along with their breeding patterns.

I'd put this down to them following the behavioural pattern of feeding during those hours, similarly to when we see the calamari more active (better fishing) at certain periods of the day seasonally. Or when they're on fire, and the bite stops.

Squid can move around quite a bit, in a report titled 'Jigging for Science' by the Vic Fisheries they tracked a single calamari travel 8.6KM from St Leonards to Point Lonsdale over 24 hrs.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Catchsomething

Post by Catchsomething » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:54 pm

Good ones guys, I guess considering I need to drive one hour and half to find a good spot I`ll leave it to the middle of the week.
In saying that Monday morning I had a pretty good session, 3 + 1 lost while lifting by hand, the last one had 6 followers, first time for me :-)

Return to “Squid Fishing”