Finally tested Shimano Sephia BB egi rod

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Finally tested Shimano Sephia BB egi rod

Post by Sebb » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:36 pm

Bought Sephia BB 80 ML egi rod before the last lockdown we just had. Finally got to test it this morning (9/11/2021).

After some discussion in this forum, input from Andrews and the others, I was really keen to use the rod since I bought it months ago.

With no much planning, a mate asked me to fish with him early morning before work. Tide was coming in and with offshore wind.

First cast, and it was like wow, felt amazing. I used 2.5 squid jig and it was a joy to cast, it was so easy to cast. Still a bit fast in mid section but whippy towards the tip. I could whack, whip or cast like a slingshot using the flex of the rod.
I tried my mate's emeraldas x, and I had to whack it harder to cast.
The emeraldas was more sensitive, but had more fun casting with the Sephia BB.

It's not a top end egi rod, but it's a great rod for what I do. The 8ft length is also perfect. Still gives enough distance without having high leverage of longer rods, hence easy to cast, even with one hand to do 'lazy cast'.
Flicking and whipping was also easy. Still parabolic and flexing but not kicking sideways.

Second cast, I got a nice average size squid.
IMG20211109055312_compress38.jpg
Few more casts and I got a 27.5cm hood squid with it's mate following and attacking the same jig all the way to my feet without being scared at all.

I let the squid in the water, while waiting for my mate to drop his jig, then bang, the second one was on his. Double hookup!
IMG_20211109_143133.jpg
IMG_20211109_143427_resize_20.jpg
In about 45 mins, we both caught 7 in total. I had to leave early, and before I left I saw water boiling, so I put zman slim swimz and hooked onto aussie salmon around 20-25cm. Must be a school of them feeding on baitfish.

Overall, I am very happy with Sephia BB rod, it's a joy to use. And personally I think it's better than emeraldas x. Haven't tried the mx and ex models, so I can't tell.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Finally tested Shimano Sephia BB egi rod

Post by Andrews » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 pm

Yes! Glad you've finally been able to give the rod a christening with some calamari!
Great hearing you're enjoying the rod and I agree with your comment about the 8' length, it's a perfect size!

Looks like you had a great session and the clarity of the water there looks incredible!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Andrews wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 pm
Yes! Glad you've finally been able to give the rod a christening with some calamari!
Great hearing you're enjoying the rod and I agree with your comment about the 8' length, it's a perfect size!

Looks like you had a great session and the clarity of the water there looks incredible!
Yup, really enjoyed it. The rod is amazing, definitely can feel the difference between Sephia BB and the Majorcraft Solpara I had in the past.

Only matter of time til I can head your way in the Bellarine.
Have you tried wading the shallows and fish for squid?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:34 pm

Nice report i was going to buy one but ended up buying the emeraldas LT 3000S-CH-DH reel anyway how do your think it would handle a 3.0 jig and how did it handle the squid power wise

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:07 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:34 pm
Nice report i was going to buy one but ended up buying the emeraldas LT 3000S-CH-DH reel anyway how do your think it would handle a 3.0 jig and how did it handle the squid power wise
Thanks.

Can cast 3.0 with no issue.

That bigger squid measured 27.5cm hood, not a monster but decent size, and the rod handled it easily. The squid was going to structures and did sudden swim back close to the structures, I could steer the squid away easily.

The butt end has a lot of power and yet the mid and the tip can absorb squid's sudden movement. Enough power without putting too much stress on the line and barb, less chance to rip the tentacles. All I did was angle the rod sideways (lower angle) to use the butt more.

Normally I would put almost zero drag when squid fishing, but with this rod I could put some drag on without worrying of putting too much tension.

Return to “Squid Fishing”