Another great squidding session.

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Another great squidding session.

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:30 am

G'day.
The cousin and myself headed out and chased some calamari few days ago and had a good session on the smaller sized squid with both of us getting out bag.
Stand-up jigs were the new shimano sephia flash boost in rainbow colour and the sephia 14T in 2.5 size.
FB_IMG_1609291448688.jpg
FB_IMG_1609291443309.jpg
FB_IMG_1609291435505.jpg
We ended the session with some pan sized pinkies as well.
Cheers

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Another great squidding session.

Post by Irishfisherman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:47 am

Good session mate, similarly to you I’ve only been catching small squid lately, in the Frankston-Oliver’s Hill area.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 pm

Well done Stevo to me the 14t is still the number one squid slayer and i just recently purchased the same as you flash boost in rainbow it,s the only one in that range i really liked

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:05 pm

Been wondering about the Shimano flash thing. Reckon it adds a lot in our favor to catch squid?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:47 am
Good session mate, similarly to you I’ve only been catching small squid lately, in the Frankston-Oliver’s Hill area.
Seems to be the case everywhere bar the bellarine peninsula and Flinders areas atm....
I usually target the smaller models this time if the year on my finesse squid outfit and 1.8 to 2.5 jigs

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 pm
Well done Stevo to me the 14t is still the number one squid slayer and i just recently purchased the same as you flash boost in rainbow it,s the only one in that range i really liked
The new 14T isn't as good as the first model. It's now made by yamashita and the cloth is different. Still works though just not as good i recon.

I got myself 2 of the flashboost. The rainbow and the brown prawn looking one. Haven't used the brown yet.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:05 pm
Been wondering about the Shimano flash thing. Reckon it adds a lot in our favor to catch squid?
I think it def. will have its days where it will come into its own. The flash is a nice addition and something ideal to have to try when its hard going . And possibly a good option to try when water is super clear so they can see the flash from far away or in times of low light periods. The flash inside the jig actually resonates for a while from just one shake of the jig. So it will almost be shimmering all the time if your working the jig constantly...
In saying that I dont think its be all and end all of squid jigs. On this particular day we got squid on few other jigs as well. For the price I'd say wait for a sale or something and then buy one, I only purchased it because I had a gift voucher.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Sephia instead of Emeraldas? Are you feeling A-ok?

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Awesome eating sized squid and photos!
Yeah they've been smaller down this way, they've all just disappeared from the St Leonards Pier, gone deeper.

I never knew the newer Shimano Sephia 14T jigs were Yamashita made, you can tell looking at the cloth. Only differences look to be the weight design, eye colour and featherings. Anyone have photos of the older jig, genuinely interested in comparing the two?
The only thing that doesn't win me over with the sephia jigs is the limited colour range, plenty of nice naturals, but limited with the foil colours.

I think you've summed up the flash pretty well, I think those clear, full sun, shallow water sessions is where it would shine. Little flashes like we see from darting baitfish and that glistening from scales as it falls. The murkier, lower light and deeper the less effective due to light penetration. I wonder why they only went two with full clear bodies and like 5+ with cloth, if you're selling the flash the cloth would only hinder the potential.
I'd love a full clear, silver paint flash boost, maybe a little bit of blue or multiple dark black thin stripe ontop running either side of the back.
This was a prototype they released, notice the red feathers and full clear body. I assumed it was Japan exclusive, but they don't have that colour either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyN_LaY ... EC%84%B1TV

I'd genuinely surprised Yamashita partnered with Shimano, but can understand it. Daiwa has the greater market share with EGI rods, but jigs could be fair game and Shimano pushes more Australia than other companies. The Shimano 'local' colours like KGW reflect that.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:56 pm

cobby wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:52 pm
Sephia instead of Emeraldas? Are you feeling A-ok?
:-D :-D :-D
Ive used sephias now for a good 4 years.
Believe it or not my strike rate with Emeraldas jigs are 0.5 out of 10 or thereabouts :o_0:

Return to “Squid Fishing”