Squid Jig Opinions!

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Squid Jig Opinions!

Post by wishtofish » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Purchased some new squid jigs, was just looking for some opinions on them really and if there should be any other sort of colours/sizes I should get. They're mainly for fishing ppb and will be primarily used landbased.
From top to bottom
1. Green jig with red foil 2.5
2. Yamashita white glow 1.5
3. Yamashita EGI live pilchard 2.5
4. Shimano Sephia egixile 14t 2.5
5. New Shimano Sephia clinch (limeblue k002) 2.5
Attachments
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 1519 times

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Squid Jig Opinions!

Post by dazz999 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:08 pm

Good choices i would add a yamashita all in 3.0 a full black , a bright orange ,a bright pink and a harimtsu ve-22ar for point of interest what are you paying on the weekend i purchased the a shimano flashboost $16.50

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:20 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:08 pm
Good choices i would add a yamashita all in 3.0 a full black , a bright orange ,a bright pink and a harimtsu ve-22ar for point of interest what are you paying on the weekend i purchased the a shimano flashboost $16.50
Far out mate, I think I paid 82 bucks all up... Not too sure how much each one was.
I have something similar to the harimtsu ve-22ar already :)

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:27 pm

I would also recommend a gold to orange coloured one, works pretty much every time for me. Otherwise maybe go for black on an overcast day. Hopefully you can get onto some soon, you've certainly put the effort in. Good luck!

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:40 am

I used a green 3.0 kmart squid jig, bagged out few times and the cloth is torn up but I still manage to catch squid on it somehow. It has retired since and now been replaced with a much more expensive brand that does just as well. I think if you locate a good area where squids are congregating and work the jigs over them, you'll get them regardless of what colour jigs you have. But that's just my opinion from experience, others may have different views. Anyways, goodluck and I hope you get them soon mate ;)

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 am

Apparently its not exactly the colour but the way the colour reflects the light because squid are supposed to be colourblind

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:56 am

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one, I recommend owning three colour types depending on the conditions.
Light natural colour (white, blue), a darker colour (black, olive) and a brighter colour (pink, orange, green).

My go to is:
Clear water, full sun = natural light colour, white, pilchard, silver whiting or anything close.
Clear water, overcast = natural dark colour, olive, black, rainbow foil.
Murky water full sun, = natural dark colour, olive, black, rainbow foil.
Murky water, overcast = bright colours, pink, orange, bright green.
Sunrise = pink, sunset = orange. You can get away with the natural/darker jigs depending on light too.

I pretty much use this chart when picking my colours depending on the clarity and light levels.
字チャート改.jpg
Yes! Squid are colour blind, but do see UV Light. Contrast is key. More about the Science of Squid fishing : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24800
8434.jpg
download.png
Size wise, go whatever works best for where you're fishing. I fish St Leonards and only use size 3.0, perfect size for our depth/conditions.
Every place is different.

I'd love to say I'm unbiased when it comes to brands, but I've only ever used the Yamashita Sutte-R jigs. My experience with these jigs has been nothing but positive and I feel the range of colours and cloths offered in that series is pretty incredible. I would say for the the price, when on sale, these are top quality jigs. Over 100 squid on one of my jigs and apart for some tearing of cloth she's working as flawless as they day I purchased it.

IMPORTANT Yamashita Sutte-R 3.0 jigs retail @ $16.99 at BCF excluding postage, do not buy them there. Dinga which is an online Australian seller sells them at a normal price of $11.99 free postage. On sale at Dinga they can be as cheap as $8.99 free postage. Last weekend Dinga had size 3.0 Yamashita Sutte-R jigs for $8.99, they often go on sale. Jigs can be very very expensive, the only time I'd pay for something more premium is for a rattle, or maybe that flash boost. That said, out of the eight jigs I own, none have either. haha
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Andrews wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:56 am
I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one, I recommend owning three colour types depending on the conditions.
Light natural colour (white, blue), a darker colour (black, olive) and a brighter colour (pink, orange, green).

My go to is:
Clear water, full sun = natural light colour, white, pilchard, silver whiting or anything close.
Clear water, overcast = natural dark colour, olive, black, rainbow foil.
Murky water full sun, = natural dark colour, olive, black, rainbow foil.
Murky water, overcast = bright colours, pink, orange, bright green.
Sunrise = pink, sunset = orange. You can get away with the natural/darker jigs depending on light too.

I pretty much use this chart when picking my colours depending on the clarity and light levels.
字チャート改.jpg

Yes! Squid are colour blind, but do see UV Light. Contrast is key. More about the Science of Squid fishing : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24800
8434.jpgdownload.png

Size wise, go whatever works best for where you're fishing. I fish St Leonards and only use size 3.0, perfect size for our depth/conditions.
Every place is different.

I'd love to say I'm unbiased when it comes to brands, but I've only ever used the Yamashita Sutte-R jigs. My experience with these jigs has been nothing but positive and I feel the range of colours and cloths offered in that series is pretty incredible. I would say for the the price, when on sale, these are top quality jigs. Over 100 squid on one of my jigs and apart for some tearing of cloth she's working as flawless as they day I purchased it.

IMPORTANT Yamashita Sutte-R 3.0 jigs retail @ $16.99 at BCF excluding postage, do not buy them there. Dinga which is an online Australian seller sells them at a normal price of $11.99 free postage. On sale at Dinga they can be as cheap as $8.99 free postage. Last weekend Dinga had size 3.0 Yamashita Sutte-R jigs for $8.99, they often go on sale. Jigs can be very very expensive, the only time I'd pay for something more premium is for a rattle, or maybe that flash boost. That said, out of the eight jigs I own, none have either. haha
Cheers Andrew, will make sure to give them all a go at different times and see what works best in the areas I'm fishing. Interesting how squid can't even see the colours :o_0:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Id go with Rui jigs instead of Yamashita now but otherwise what Andrews said is probably as good as advice as any.

Reclusive mod Poodoo once suggested 4 colours - red, white/glow, gold and rainbow I think. That’s served me really well over the years although I’ve (probably unnecessarily) bought some other colours since then as well.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:09 pm

4liters wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 pm
Id go with Rui jigs instead of Yamashita now but otherwise what Andrews said is probably as good as advice as any.

Reclusive mod Poodoo once suggested 4 colours - red, white/glow, gold and rainbow I think. That’s served me really well over the years although I’ve (probably unnecessarily) bought some other colours since then as well.
Hey mate yeah i've seen rui jigs and now actually ordered a black, an orange/rainbow and a red! :)

Return to “Squid Fishing”