Any luck around black rock?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Any luck around black rock?

Post by wishtofish » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Anyone had any luck around black rock or surroundings as of late, wanting to know before I go waste my time :tu:
Anywhere from Beaumaris/Black Rock/Brighton or around there... thanks guys!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Any luck around black rock?

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:12 pm

I heard few snappers caught by boat fishos around black rock. No idea landbased.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Ashigaru
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Ashigaru » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Fished black rock land based this morning from 3:30am to 6:00am to catch the westerly wind. The pier at half-moon bay/cerburus was closed about just before the end, but had a big door cut out of the fence closing it off... I caught one small pinkie (released) and a sea star. Should have tied lots of rigs before I left as it was pretty hard to tie them with the wind blowing in my face and the waves spraying everything. Plenty of bites but ended up snagged every cast. Tried to use satellite maps to get an idea of the structure but my casting accuracy wasn't the best today.

Ashigaru

Post by Ashigaru » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:00 pm

I'd say it's worth going if you know what you're doing, I need to get some more experience going for landbased snapper/pinkies so take my report with a grain of salt

Ashigaru

Post by Ashigaru » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Sorry for the spam, just noticed this was under squid fishing. There was what looked to be fresh ink about half-way down the pier. Lot of weed about and water was quite dirty.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:11 am

Ashigaru wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:57 pm
Fished black rock land based this morning from 3:30am to 6:00am to catch the westerly wind. The pier at half-moon bay/cerburus was closed about just before the end, but had a big door cut out of the fence closing it off... I caught one small pinkie (released) and a sea star. Should have tied lots of rigs before I left as it was pretty hard to tie them with the wind blowing in my face and the waves spraying everything. Plenty of bites but ended up snagged every cast. Tried to use satellite maps to get an idea of the structure but my casting accuracy wasn't the best today.
That kind of wind is usually what brings fish (ie snapper) close to shore. A long surf rod that can cast heavy sinker helps a lot in that kind of condition.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:36 pm

Ashigaru wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:02 pm
Sorry for the spam, just noticed this was under squid fishing. There was what looked to be fresh ink about half-way down the pier. Lot of weed about and water was quite dirty.
Haha, no worries, the squids meant to be for snapper baits anyway :-D
Thanks for the info! Might give it a couple of hours tonight for some squid, hopefully can get one or two...
:wt:

Ashigaru

Post by Ashigaru » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Awesome let us know how you go, I'm keen to get onto some squid as well but haven't managed to get one yet in PPB.

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Ashigaru wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 pm
Awesome let us know how you go, I'm keen to get onto some squid as well but haven't managed to get one yet in PPB.
Hey mate just got back, no luck! Did see a squid swim passed until someone jumped in the water and scared it off :(
Also a big salmon 1-2kg swam past which was pretty cool! Did feel like I got one hit but the squid didn't seem to want to play, going to head down to Mornington tomorrow to catch the high tide and hopefully get a couple!

Return to “Squid Fishing”