Another great squidding session.

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Another great squidding session.

Post by purple5ive » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:29 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:54 pm
Great report and photos Purple
Squid and some pinkies, gotta be happy with that
Cheers Gra
yes was a great day out!! :tu:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:45 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm
dazz999 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 pm
Well done Stevo to me the 14t is still the number one squid slayer and i just recently purchased the same as you flash boost in rainbow it,s the only one in that range i really liked
The new 14T isn't as good as the first model. It's now made by yamashita and the cloth is different. Still works though just not as good i recon.

I got myself 2 of the flashboost. The rainbow and the brown prawn looking one. Haven't used the brown yet.
I agree the old 14t smashed the squid i have one i retired would have caught over 40 squid the cloth,s a mess . Now have 5 3.0 left and the same in 2.5 hard to use wisely because you have to send them to bottom of the bay

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:28 pm
Andrews wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:42 pm
Looking at the emeraldas jigs and they're a bit eh.

Yeah, I've seen a few swap to that elongated loop vs the straight round.
Shape yeah, I'm sure each brand has slight difference in the same and that new ones Yamashita.

I'm thinking that two, supposed to say promotional rather than porotype haha. I remember watching the Shimano demo clip and with the cloth you really couldn't see the flash even above water.
Emeraldas have some really nice jigs, but they are JDM only!!
not just the loop, the actual nose shape is different now.
with the cloth over the body, i suppose they will entice the hovering squid to actually grab, instead of hover and shy away.. the flash is still noticeable, although a lot more toned down..
Yeah, I think I saw the ones with the loop ontop like a jig head, not sure on that. Always JDM haha!
I always assumed that was the whole point of the flash, that bright flash like you see on a baitfish. If that's the attractant, why tone that down if that is the stimulus. I wonder on the cloth vs no cloth, I wonder if squid don't like that smooth feeling as opposed to a little texture.

I've never had any issues with the same cloth on my Yamashita that they're using on the new 14T jig, also caught over 50+ squid, the jigs stained, chewed, torn and still performs.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:45 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:45 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm
dazz999 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 pm
Well done Stevo to me the 14t is still the number one squid slayer and i just recently purchased the same as you flash boost in rainbow it,s the only one in that range i really liked
The new 14T isn't as good as the first model. It's now made by yamashita and the cloth is different. Still works though just not as good i recon.

I got myself 2 of the flashboost. The rainbow and the brown prawn looking one. Haven't used the brown yet.
I agree the old 14t smashed the squid i have one i retired would have caught over 40 squid the cloth,s a mess . Now have 5 3.0 left and the same in 2.5 hard to use wisely because you have to send them to bottom of the bay
Yeah id take the old 14T than the new one anyday!!
Still have 2 of them and use them when needed...cloth is all torn up and stained. But still works :vy:

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 pm

Andrews wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Andrews wrote:

Shape yeah, I'm sure each brand has slight difference in the same and that new ones Yamashita.

I'm thinking that two, supposed to say promotional rather than porotype haha. I remember watching the Shimano demo clip and with the cloth you really couldn't see the flash even above water.
with the cloth over the body, i suppose they will entice the hovering squid to actually grab, instead of hover and shy away.. the flash is still noticeable, although a lot more toned down..
Yeah, I think I saw the ones with the loop ontop like a jig head, not sure on that. Always JDM haha!
I always assumed that was the whole point of the flash, that bright flash like you see on a baitfish. If that's the attractant, why tone that down if that is the stimulus. I wonder on the cloth vs no cloth, I wonder if squid don't like that smooth feeling as opposed to a little texture.

I've never had any issues with the same cloth on my Yamashita that they're using on the new 14T jig, also caught over 50+ squid, the jigs stained, chewed, torn and still performs.
The loop on top like a jighead is there for a reason. Daiwa make the extra weights that can be added to the jigs to make them sink faster and thats the main reason they are designed like that

The counter weights are placed accordingly to allow it to sink naturally when not using extra weight.

The smooth/nude jigs still catch plenty.

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:46 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 pm
Andrews wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Andrews wrote:

The loop on top like a jighead is there for a reason. Daiwa make the extra weights that can be added to the jigs to make them sink faster and thats the main reason they are designed like that

The counter weights are placed accordingly to allow it to sink naturally when not using extra weight.

The smooth/nude jigs still catch plenty.
Yeah, they've probably done plenty of testing during the design phase. I still have a feeling that the movement would be slightly different between the almost overhead attachment loop vs the forward loops you see on other jigs. Wouldn't be by much though.
Always interesting seeing the design difference between brands and as technology improves.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Squid Fishing”