Squid vs calamari

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Squid vs calamari

Post by skronkman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:13 am

Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Mollusca
Class:
Cephalopoda
Order:
Myopsida
Family:
Loliginidae
Genus:
Sepioteuthis
Species:
S. australis

Basically Cephalopod is their class, Southern Calamari is the common name for their species. Don’t they teach this stuff at school anymore?

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 am

I agree with 4litres breakdown.

I attached a great little picture giving us a breakdown of Cephalopoda, the divergence between octopodiformes and decapodiformes and then further into our sepia cuttlefish and sepioteuthis which contain the southern reef squid, big fin reef squid and caribbean reef squids.
Screenshot_1.jpg
Southern calamari and arrow squid are both in the class Cephalopoda, but diverge in their order of Myopsida (Southern Calamari) and Oegopsida (Arrow Squid). This divergence in order is caused by oegopsida lacking a corneal covering of their oegopsida eye.

Reference
Jan M. Strugnell; Annie Lindgren; Louise M. Allcock (2009). "Cephalopod mollusks Cephalopoda". In S. Blair Hedges; Sudhir Kumar (eds.). The Timetree of Life. OUP Oxford. pp. 2–18.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:28 am

Andrews wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 am

I attached a great little picture giving us a breakdown of Cephalopoda, the divergence between octopodiformes and decapodiformes and then further into our sepia cuttlefish and sepioteuthis which contain the southern reef squid, big fin reef squid and caribbean reef squids.
Screenshot_1.jpg

Southern calamari and arrow squid are both in the class Cephalopoda, but diverge in their order of Myopsida (Southern Calamari) and Oegopsida (Arrow Squid). This divergence in order is caused by oegopsida lacking a corneal covering of their oegopsida eye.

Reference
Jan M. Strugnell; Annie Lindgren; Louise M. Allcock (2009). "Cephalopod mollusks Cephalopoda". In S. Blair Hedges; Sudhir Kumar (eds.). The Timetree of Life. OUP Oxford. pp. 2–18.
Taking it to the next level, nice work. All I did was cut and paste from Wikipedia and make a smart arse comment.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 pm

skronkman wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:13 am
Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Mollusca
Class:
Cephalopoda
Order:
Myopsida
Family:
Loliginidae
Genus:
Sepioteuthis
Species:
S. australis

Basically Cephalopod is their class, Southern Calamari is the common name for their species. Don’t they teach this stuff at school anymore?
Not at Brunswick High, maybe the Bluestone college down the road

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:51 pm

skronkman wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:28 am
Andrews wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 am

Screenshot_1.jpg

Reference
Taking it to the next level, nice work. All I did was cut and paste from Wikipedia and make a smart arse comment.
I found it an interesting question, always wondered how they were related. Never hurts knowing a bit more about the species you target.

I think now depend a lot what classes or electives you choose in high school, they'll cover it in the younger year levels but skip over a lot of the details.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Not expecting to get the detailed responses. Good to know though. Doesn't hurt to learn something, especially something that is so good to eat and a good all rounder bait.

So we know arrow and southern that we get here are two different species. One is called squid and the other is calamari.

And if it's just a word play, then why never heard of arrow calamari and southern squid?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Calamari are the premier frying squid.ie. Crumbed and either deep fried or shallow fried very quickly and eaten hot. Arrow squid and octopus , cuttlefish are better if boiled in water, vinegar and herbs for 40 minutes+, until tender. Then cooled and used in salads. While you can use them for the frying method they go tough much quicker than Calamari and need to be eaten barely cooked.
Arrow squid make good bait for snapper and larger fish that have an aggressive bite, calamari being softer is better for delicate biters like KGW and other whiting.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:32 pm

My understanding (as a chef) is that calamari is the culinary term for squid, however the term can also be used when describing the species (eg southern calamari) just as the term squid can be used in culinary (salt and pepper squid).
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:29 pm

:rf: Squid ink pasta or calamari ink pasta

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:09 pm

and I always thought calamari had full length wings but squid had partial length wings...or is that a furphy?

Return to “Squid Fishing”