Mornington sessions 28/2 and 1/3/2022

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
shazdoggg

Mornington sessions 28/2 and 1/3/2022

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:39 pm

Been a long time since I made a contribution so thought I should post some recent reports.

Headed to Mornington yesterday morning around 9.30am and started fishing at the end with 2 rods on the bottom and 1 iso rod with a float set up. Also used a simple berley mix consisting of breadcrumbs and tinned tuna mixed with water.

Caught an undersized pinkie around 10am on prawn on a light paternoster rig followed by a small trevally on the iso rod about 4m deep on prawn.
High tide was just before 12 pm and hooked and lost another trevally and decent sized leatherjacket on the iso rod before the tide change.
Around 12.30pm I landed another trevally, this one slightly better sized at about 30cm.
2 fishos next to me landed an assortment of fish, including a few garfish, yellowtail mackerel and trevally.

Headed back today around 10.40am and set up in the same spot with the same berley mix and proceeded to catch garfish immediately on small pieces of prawn about 4m under the float.
Landed around 30 garfish from small to decent sized after leaving around 3.30pm. Also caught 2 small squid on 3.0 sized jig rigged drop shot style which Mornington is renowned for.
Saw quite a few squid caught, with 1.6-2.0 sized jigs rigged drop shot style doing the most damage.
Also saw a few slimy mackerel caught from the lower landing and a healthy kgw(around 40cm) landed about an hour after the tide change on squid.

My boat is currently getting spruced up with a larger fuel tank, new handrails, 2nd bilge and a cut/polish which is the main reason I decided for a pier bash. Perfect weather to head out with mostly overcast skies which I prefer to the stinking hot days with the sun beating down.

Cheers Shaz
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Mornington sessions 28/2 and 1/3/2022

Post by Sebb » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:37 pm

Good stuff.
Was it crowded?
Been a while since I fished there. Seems to always be overly crowded with people. Especially in summer.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

beefy

Post by beefy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:35 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:37 pm
Good stuff.
Was it crowded?
Been a while since I fished there. Seems to always be overly crowded with people. Especially in summer.
That was the reason I got a boat. Last time I was there, some grumpy old man got angry and shouted at my boy because their lines got tangled. He got a piece of my mind back LOL.

Half an hour later the pratt accidentally cast over the top of our lines.

I often feel sorry for guys fishing on piers when it crowded.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:06 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:37 pm
Good stuff.
Was it crowded?
Wasn’t too crowded at all. There were quite a few fishos on the lower landing and start of the pier on the lee side targeting squid but not many at the end.

I usually avoid fishing during the weekends to stay away from the crowds. Even when I take my boat out it’s usually midweek, the exception is Apollo Bay which is usually quiet except during holidays and when the tuna are running.

Shaz
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:13 pm

good job shazdoggg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:21 am

Nice session on the gars with your second session shaz!
Well done mate.
Cheers 👍🏻

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:10 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:21 am
Nice session on the gars with your second session shaz!
Well done mate.
Cheers 👍🏻
fisho999 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:13 pm
good job shazdoggg
Cheers guys!

Went back on Saturday afternoon and only managed 3 gars and 2 small squid. Caught and released a few pinkies and banjos on prawn and squid baits. Fished the high tide change but was pretty quiet apart from small squid which seem to be in season. Also saw a couple of mackerel caught from the lower landing on floats.

Cheers Shaz
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”