Mt Martha & Mornington 4/12

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Mt Martha & Mornington 4/12

Post by wishtofish » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Decided to set out on catching squid at the High tide at 5:50 pm-ish.. got to Mt Martha around 5 pm, Fished until around 6:10 for absolutely nothing, got one hit for sure but was timid as anything...
Decided to move to Mornington and try my luck there, fished there for around 3 hours for squid for nothing, guys next to me managed a pair but that was it...
I'm honestly really bummed out last 5 or so trips have been nothing, might try and get out on the yak... still wouldn't really know where to go :( :dn:
So overall.. donuts all around and I'm going to sleep

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Mt Martha & Mornington 4/12

Post by Andrews » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:27 pm

That's really interesting that you're not having much lucky with squid there.
How deep are you fishing?

I'd maybe scout of a few nice weedy/sandy bottoms around that 2-4M mark, I'm not familiar with the area but the weed out from Dowdle Reserve looks pretty promising. It's around that 3-4M mark.
https://zoom.earth/#view=-38.24043,145. ... ayers=esri
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=vashFez~sZ
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:27 pm
That's really interesting that you're not having much lucky with squid there.
How deep are you fishing?

I'd maybe scout of a few nice weedy/sandy bottoms around that 2-4M mark, I'm not familiar with the area but the weed out from Dowdle Reserve looks pretty promising. It's around that 3-4M mark.
https://zoom.earth/#view=-38.24043,145. ... ayers=esri
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=vashFez~sZ
Not too sure mate, just casting out from the mount martha rocks and around the mornington pier... are you saying to give those spots a look out on the yak? I was pretty disappointed after hearing nothing but good things from around mornington/mt martha only to come back with nothing haha

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:19 pm

I fished the area from hearn rd and to the right where the rocks had a point then went in a little.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm

I think you're 100% in the right area to be hooking into some squid and hearing that the guy next to you helps confirm that.

What is your action like working the jig and how much time does it spend 'resting/sinking' compared to the action or movement?
Squid are very curious and aggressive, but they're also very hesitant and sometimes it takes minutes of them stalking the jig to finally decided to strike.
It could be as simple as you're not giving them enough of that window to strike?

This is more for the pier, but when you've retrieved the jig in right to the end of the pier you can see if the jig is still deep or towards the surface.
If it's at the top/surface, it's normally because you've worked it too often and not let it sink enough. Handy tip!

I did this handy post a while back showing how I go about everything and anything squidding, hope it helps!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24800

I've also got plenty of posts going into all the details of when I get squid, colour of jig, light level, clarity, the lot. haha! Hope they help!
viewforum.php?f=153
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 am

Andrews wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm
I think you're 100% in the right area to be hooking into some squid and hearing that the guy next to you helps confirm that.

What is your action like working the jig and how much time does it spend 'resting/sinking' compared to the action or movement?
Squid are very curious and aggressive, but they're also very hesitant and sometimes it takes minutes of them stalking the jig to finally decided to strike.
It could be as simple as you're not giving them enough of that window to strike?

This is more for the pier, but when you've retrieved the jig in right to the end of the pier you can see if the jig is still deep or towards the surface.
If it's at the top/surface, it's normally because you've worked it too often and not let it sink enough. Handy tip!

I did this handy post a while back showing how I go about everything and anything squidding, hope it helps!

I've also got plenty of posts going into all the details of when I get squid, colour of jig, light level, clarity, the lot. haha! Hope they help!
viewforum.php?f=153
Using pretty much the same action as you've described in your post! I'm pretty sure I was letting it sink far enough, will make sure of it next time... maybe it was just the wrong time, heard of good things from mt Martha but I've never managed anything from there haha, will have to try and get out on a sunrise.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Sometimes even the best of spots perform poorly from a wide range of things, the tide, sun, water temp or even clarity.
Yeah see how you go with sunrise, some people swear you can only catch squid on the suns rise/set, but I've never had any trouble fishing mid-day. I prefer a run in/out tide and a light/medium wind. There has to be water movement! haha

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:55 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 am
Andrews wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm

viewforum.php?f=153
Using pretty much the same action as you've described in your post! I'm pretty sure I was letting it sink far enough, will make sure of it next time... maybe it was just the wrong time, heard of good things from mt Martha but I've never managed anything from there haha, will have to try and get out on a sunrise.
There’s definitely plenty of squid around there mate.
Don’t give up and keep trying and I’m sure you will get onto some soon. I’ve had a lot of luck later arvo. Good luck.
Cheers 👍🏻

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:15 pm

When they're a bit fussy, go finesse. As in, lighter thinner fluorocarbon leader line and longer, use 2.5 or even 2.0 size.
Red or plain white are my top two there. A friend always catches a few there with Shimano Egiexile O2T King George Whiting.

Cast as far as you can and try to keep the jig in the strike zone as long as possible. Gentle twitch rather than aggressive whip usually do the tricks when they're fussy.

Also, when you think you got snagged, pause with the rod still bending, and think again, maybe you got a squid! Don't drop the rod and slacking the line straight away, wait for few seconds, if it's a squid it'll pull back.

My mate did that silly mistakes until I told him, and since that he caught heaps of squid. He really thought he got snagged on the bottom and dropped the rod slacking the line, then ofc the squid let go of the jig.
Til one day he thought he got snagged pulled hard to 'un-snag', only to find a bit of squid meat on the prong hook (so obviously was a squid and got ripped). Told him not to drop the rod straight away and he landed a squid the next cast.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:25 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:15 pm
When they're a bit fussy, go finesse. As in, lighter thinner fluorocarbon leader line and longer, use 2.5 or even 2.0 size.
Red or plain white are my top two there. A friend always catches a few there with Shimano Egiexile O2T King George Whiting.

Cast as far as you can and try to keep the jig in the strike zone as long as possible. Gentle twitch rather than aggressive whip usually do the tricks when they're fussy.

Also, when you think you got snagged, pause with the rod still bending, and think again, maybe you got a squid! Don't drop the rod and slacking the line straight away, wait for few seconds, if it's a squid it'll pull back.

My mate did that silly mistakes until I told him, and since that he caught heaps of squid. He really thought he got snagged on the bottom and dropped the rod slacking the line, then ofc the squid let go of the jig.
Til one day he thought he got snagged pulled hard to 'un-snag', only to find a bit of squid meat on the prong hook (so obviously was a squid and got ripped). Told him not to drop the rod straight away and he landed a squid the next cast.
Cheers for that will keep it in mind, might need to get some more squid jigs to expand the range of colours, cheers!

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”