Help with Mornington gars

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Re: Help with Mornington gars

Post by Aaron75 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:24 pm

You don't need burley if there are other people on the pier throwing burley in, just park yourself right beside them and cast over their line.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:22 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:24 pm
You don't need burley if there are other people on the pier throwing burley in, just park yourself right beside them and cast over their line.
no

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 pm

Andrews wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 pm
I tried using those float stoppers and had issues with them.

I would cast my line and the float would physically move along the line while in the air. I think the weight of the float was balancing itself on the rig. Diagram attached.
Screenshot_2.jpg
I added a float stop to the bottom of the float, but it would still move over time. I now push the line through itself making the float physically unable to move. Green bead as a spacer/shock absorber.
Screenshot_3.jpg

Agree with garfish being hit or miss, sometimes it's all about where you're casting. Local pier we're getting tons in one spot, five meters to the left/right and there aren't as many, if any.
never had a problem with float stopper,s

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 pm

P1040222 (800x600).jpg
Iwill give you some help young fella first use the right type float with the one,s in the pic you can see every movement if the gar take,s your bait heading down float goes down if gar hit,s bait heading up to the surface float heads up gar hits bait sideways float moves in that direction .So simple rig is float stopper float then float stopper all snug together any movement you can see and strike with maggot,s hold on for a couple of second,s siliverfish strike straight away . Burley breadcrumbs ,tuna oil and if you want a little bit of curry powder mixed in make burley mix into a fine like sand mix but holds together, Pick spot on any pier burley hard at the start once they come ,only burley every now and then to keep them interested most light fishing rod,s are fine for the job .Hook,s size 12#long shank fly fishing hook,s are the go .What depth are the gars feeding at ? with the float stoppers and float keep adjusting the length till you find what depth there feeding at note you will have to change the depth during a session to keep catching them.If no gars in 30mins move say 10 meters up the pier and repeat above proceess if no hookup,s simple gar,s arnt there

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Split shot to the condition,s float approx 2 inches above surface and watch the float gars are like mice quick as

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Well I got nothing some other had bucketfuls from earlier and as I was leaving due to footy training there was a school of sixty cm plus salmons moving in also whilst there there was a easy seventy cm flattie that was cruising along

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 pm

I'd make a mental note of where they were catching them, sometimes a single spot is productive while everywhere else isn't.

Depends if they're on the bite too, you can fish for hours and have nothing but then a ten minute window with fishing that you brag about in stories.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”