Donuts at Mt Martha

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Donuts at Mt Martha

Post by Aimless » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:04 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am
if they are following and not commiting try the smaller sized jigs like 2 and 2.5
or try a stinger treble hook on the plastic
Great ideas. Wish I had a size 2 on me, I think that would have done it.

Nice idea on the stinger too, another thing I need for the tackle box (right!)

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:53 am

Good report and photos. Looks like a nice day to fish.
Unlucky with the donut. But yes, they can be tough to fool in that kinda condition as they can take their time and check the jig out clearly.
Like already suggested, try smaller size and maybe natural colour. Maybe thinner fluorocarbon leader line as well.
Plastic looks more realistic, hence often can fool them easier but hard to hookup. Purple's suggestion to put a stinger means tie a second hook (preferably treble hook) behind the main hook.
Give some slack line for the squid to grab the plastic and swim with it a bit before pulling.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Hey crew. Had another go on Saturday. Up before 6am and off to Mt Martha. Nice and quiet and isolated so no problem keeping my distance from anyone. Bit windier with a light southerly, and overcast so a little less pleasant than last time.

Wife was with me, she lost a jig in the reef there somewhere. Not action for about an hour and a bit and it was getting much colder so we ended taking off. Fair few other fishoes around, noone was having any luck this time though. My mate on the garfish was back with his son and they had got a gar and pinkie before we arrived.

Quick stop at Torello Farm for some produce. Lots of good fresh stuff there if anyone is in need. 5kg bags of potatoes for $3 to see you through these quarantine days haha. Tried some of our mushroom foraging spots as the season started way earlier this year. Lots of saffron milkcaps (the red pine mushrooms which are great eating) however they had dried up - not enough rain in the last week I guess.

Then Flinders Pier. Heaps of fresh ink including one exact outline of a squid that got me excited. But again no action, no sign of a fish. Had a go on plastics for an hour or so but nothing bit. Guy behind me had a light rig near the start of the boat moorings. He pulled up a grass whiting or two and some toadies but that's all. Had a stroll on the beach and then home! Bah humbug, donuts again, but nice to escape the apartment for a few hours.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Aimless wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm
Hey crew. Had another go on Saturday. Up before 6am and off to Mt Martha. Nice and quiet and isolated so no problem keeping my distance from anyone. Bit windier with a light southerly, and overcast so a little less pleasant than last time.

Wife was with me, she lost a jig in the reef there somewhere. Not action for about an hour and a bit and it was getting much colder so we ended taking off. Fair few other fishoes around, noone was having any luck this time though. My mate on the garfish was back with his son and they had got a gar and pinkie before we arrived.

Quick stop at Torello Farm for some produce. Lots of good fresh stuff there if anyone is in need. 5kg bags of potatoes for $3 to see you through these quarantine days haha. Tried some of our mushroom foraging spots as the season started way earlier this year. Lots of saffron milkcaps (the red pine mushrooms which are great eating) however they had dried up - not enough rain in the last week I guess.

Then Flinders Pier. Heaps of fresh ink including one exact outline of a squid that got me excited. But again no action, no sign of a fish. Had a go on plastics for an hour or so but nothing bit. Guy behind me had a light rig near the start of the boat moorings. He pulled up a grass whiting or two and some toadies but that's all. Had a stroll on the beach and then home! Bah humbug, donuts again, but nice to escape the apartment for a few hours.
Unlucky.
My mate went there Sat morning close to hearn rd, caught two and that's it. Said he saw few people and none catching.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Aimless wrote:

Hey mate I rekon you should give beaumaris a go for the squid, just make sure you're getting there and fishing through first light with a 2.0 natural jig

I haven't had a squid less session there for a few weeks, and I'm just doing what I detailed above

Just cast with the wind anywhere from 1/2 way down the pier onwards

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:58 pm
Unlucky.
My mate went there Sat morning close to hearn rd, caught two and that's it. Said he saw few people and none catching.
Yeah, it was a bit quieter than the long weekend but still a fair few people about. I was just down Hearn Road. Enjoyable morning anyway, makes the day feel like a long one when you're out the door at 6!

whambamsam
Has liked: 12 times

Post by whambamsam » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:37 pm

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:37 pm
Aimless wrote:

Hey mate I rekon you should give beaumaris a go for the squid, just make sure you're getting there and fishing through first light with a 2.0 natural jig

I haven't had a squid less session there for a few weeks, and I'm just doing what I detailed above

Just cast with the wind anywhere from 1/2 way down the pier onwards
FYI - I've found that the rocks at Mt Martha don't produce well after rain, because of the drain there pumping out freshwater I believe.

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”