Winter Westernport Trip

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
FishHunter81

Winter Westernport Trip

Post by FishHunter81 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 am

Hey guys. Deciding to take my daughter out of the house for some fishing on westernport this coming Tuesday. Will be hiring off yaringa boat hire. Have not fished that area before and was wondering what areas to target for flathead, squid, whiting and if possible a gummy this time of year though the hire place only let's you go no more than 2 miles out. Will be going out over the tide change in the morning. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Don't expect GPS markings just general depths to fish for species and rough areas.
Cheers.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Re: Winter Westernport Trip

Post by Kenle » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:25 am

I've hired the boats there with friends years ago, get one with a cheap sounder on it so you can navigate deep waters for different species. The boats are realy slow with a **** weak motor on it but because of this your not required to have a boat license. To get to the squid you'll have to motor out towards Tyabb Beach area, it will take like 35 to 40 mins in them hired boats. Plenty whiting and squid with other mixed varieties of fish last I remembered. Size 6 long shank hooks on a double drop rig with small squid strips was what we used. Size 3 white coloured squid jigs was what we got the squids on. Big squids too, goodluck mate

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks Kenie,
Lots viewed and you replied. Must be quiet in WP atm because of winter.
Will give it a try just hope weather improves this week
Cheers.

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:12 am

I fish regularly from Yaringa boat hire.

Towards the slack tide, I'd go looking for squid and you can find them easily at the last channel marker - there are two red markers to the right and anywhere south of them in 4-6m you'll find them. I personally don't use anything smaller than a size 3.0 and find a 3.5 more productive. Red foil jigs or anything with an orange/pink cloth is my pick.

Whiting will be harder to find as the weather cools off, as the tide turns find sand holes amongst the weed beds in shallow and try pipi/squid as bait. You'll notice that the puffer fish will be in plague proportions unless you're in depths of 6m or more. Best bet, sit on the drop off and have a couple of big rods out. I've caught gummies closer to Hastings and also on the Quail bank side (left of the green marker) on the drop off. Winter Snapper may pass through in the area too.

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Thank you for info. Yes I suspect whiting may be off so hopefully some good flatties are around

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:41 pm

Squid will be your main go, Whiting and Flatties are quite slow in the colder water and quite a few moves will be needed to find feeding fish. Drift around the blue areas in the pics, anywhere from 1-7m deep. Tyabb bank south of the channel entrance is a more gradual drop off than quail bank to the east. Once you drift out of that range start the motor up and shift back into the depth range. Run a whiting under a float, a jig dropped straight under the boat and cast a jig around. If there's enough room and rod holders, run a paternoster with a short sinker dropper half a turn above the bottom whilst drifting for squid. If there's any Salmon or Whiting around they'll have a nibble on some squid or pippies. If you really want to try for a Gummy or have fun on a stingray then just head out into 8+m of water and soak some baits off the same banks. Don't discount the edges of the channel itself either, just don't head north out of the marina, that red dotted line in the pics is a marine park
Attachments
Screenshot_20210705-132619_Boating.jpg
Screenshot_20210705-132557_Boating.jpg

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. A general area to fish will help big time. So anywhere south of the yaringa entrance or easterly across but not north of the entrance. The boat company should tell us where we can go anyway and I think it's no more than 2miles

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”