21st & 22nd Snapper Report.

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

21st & 22nd Snapper Report.

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Its again been a bit of a stretch since my last report on here. That is due to a few things.. Smashed by weed flowing through the tide in my last 3 trips during September. A fuel/motor issue that is now resolved, and of course.. bad weather and winds.

But it seems that as of the last week or so we've hit a turning point, the weather is coming good and the fish are definitely firing up with the warmer days and increasing temp. With a mental refresh, and a relaxed head space i was buzzing for Monday to come round. Mapped out a solid plan for the day and waited for it to be morning.

Launched from Yaringa at 5am headed for Tyabb Bank to score some Squid with sunrise and a tide change. Very cloudy morning and not much light, was tough with only 1 Squid at the top of the high. I waited through slack and then again began to do my drift lines for some more calamari. After 30 minutes of tough going and another change of jig colour i finally hit a good patch landing 4, with a couple decent hoods.
With fresh Calamari on board and some not long frozen couta, the bait was sorted.
Squid1squeezed.jpg
squid2squeezed.jpg
Leaving Tyabb bank with one thing in mind, Snapper. I spent the midle period of the tide sounding around likely haunts in the North arm. I found some marks on the sounder, but wasnt sure. I anchored just up from those marks and got my spread out. Within 5 minutes a fat pinky of 52cm came about. Good signs. A bit more waiting and i found myself approaching the last 90 minutes of tide. It wasn't long before a serious buckle and long long screaming run came.. I knew it was a Red from the get go but damn i didn't realise how big, a lot of weight on the rod had me thinking it could be something else... but the head shakes are too distinctive, you never forget those and i certainly wont forget these ones! The long screaming run saw a large wait of cruising back to the boat, and once it was closer to the boat it felt even heavier. Heart in my mouth about now...
I kid you not it was pushing another 10 minutes of just dogging it out under the boat in the current with some awesome lunges. Finally after a very stressful, nervous period colour began to show and i was in awe. Into the net it went, with me holding its head as it didnt fit in the net.. the fat thing! Here are some photos. Plan came together, good conditions and self belief goes a long way. Having a clearer head definitely helped too.
7kg snapper squeezed.jpg
scalessqueezed.jpg
On such a high from landing a PB Red, i gave mate Reilly the call up to come out the following day (Tuesday) and see if we can get his first real Snapper. Another early launch seeing as arrive at Yaringa at 5am. Armed with fresh couta, yakkas, slimies and squid i had caught before heading in the previous day, confidence was through the roof. Straight down to the same area in 15-17m close to Hastings. Conditions couldn't of been better with a Rising barometer at high pressure and a sunrise with the last 90 minutes of tide.. wow. 5 minutes after the sun was up, ZZZZZZ...... an absolute howler takes off and i give Reilly the rod. Seeing the facial expressions as the fish thrashed line off the saragosa was priceless. Fought very hard for its size, coming in at 5kg on the dot. Ripper, and congrats to him!
reillyredsqueezed.jpg
reilyholdingred.jpg
20 Minutes went by, and the tide was really slowing up now.. a few little nudges on the rod tip then all of a sudden a hard fast buckle zzz.... again. Not quite a line burner like the other! but still some good good runs! bang, straight into the net coming in at 5.2kg. A great morning and even better witnessing someone catch their first red, just awesome.
doubletrouble.jpg
Finally the fish are feeding properly and the windows are getting larger to get those bites. its all about to happen, the next month ahead is going to be a great one.

Cheers guys.

denis barden

Re: 21st & 22nd Snapper Report.

Post by denis barden » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:29 pm

U Da Man
Cheers

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Nice, I couldn't get the snapper on the eastern side of the bay to bite yesterday despite sounding a few, what was the temp over Hastings side?

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm
Nice, I couldn't get the snapper on the eastern side of the bay to bite yesterday despite sounding a few, what was the temp over Hastings side?
What time were you fishing, and what was the barometer doing? and baits?
the temp was hovering in the low 15's from memory Im sure it'll be up dramatically after tomorrow tho!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Great report Mr T with some awesome fish :tu:

I love it when they "dog", it's that love-hate relationship thing. Credit to them for dogging, the battle of "who blinks first", the thought that "yep, you're big" but the nerves and your "next move" are what it's about. But also that great feeling when your patience and nerves have played out well, when they turn their head , "yep, I won" feeling is unbeatable

Cheers, Bugatti

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:30 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:07 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm
What time were you fishing, and what was the barometer doing? and baits?
the temp was hovering in the low 15's from memory Im sure it'll be up dramatically after tomorrow tho!
Morning-afternoon, 1028 baro pretty stagnant, baits were an assortment of IQF pilchard, mullet, trevally and yakka all fresh, too windy for squid.

The temp will be the main thing though. Mid 13s on the East side around coronet bay. Far too cold. No wonder they weren't feeding :(

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Now there snapper.

Well done mate

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Smashing them man. Well done
And it's so good to see others catch their first one. Its priceless.
Cheers

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:38 am

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm
Great report Mr T with some awesome fish :tu:

I love it when they "dog", it's that love-hate relationship thing. Credit to them for dogging, the battle of "who blinks first", the thought that "yep, you're big" but the nerves and your "next move" are what it's about. But also that great feeling when your patience and nerves have played out well, when they turn their head , "yep, I won" feeling is unbeatable

Cheers, Bugatti
Couldnt have said it better myself mate, yup.. thats it. Cheers!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:39 am

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:37 pm
Now there snapper.

Well done mate
Good to be on a patch of decent fish!!! thanks buddy. You going to head out next few weeks for em?

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”