Messiah

Cape schanck rock fishing

Post by Messiah » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 am

Has anyone fished here ? I heard you can get kingfish here

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Cape schanck rock fishing

Post by raco09 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:36 am

Dude, you pretty much got some answers in your LBG fishing topic. You've been told its dangerous and you agreed! What else do you need to know? Go give it a go, as I've said before.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:46 am

Just wanting to know a bit more about the place before I go ?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 am

Messiah wrote:Just wanting to know a bit more about the place before I go ?
On another forum one piece of advice that was offered to another angler, was to learn to fish one or two spots first, rather than running all over the country side.

So basically if you want to learn to fish the punchbowl, it means going there on a fairly frequent basis. At different tides, times of day etc.

Even make a trip just to watch what others are doing.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I have fished both places, cape schanck and punch bowl number of time.

With respect to cape schanck, I suggest:
1. you bring spare change for parking and ticket machine, otherwise you may need to find a way on how to get the boom gate up smh
2. go and have a look at the place, where you want to fish, it will depend on the tides, wind, swell where you can and where you can't fish
3. if you do decide to go fishing down there, don't go on your own, god forbid you roll your ankle (like i did at punch bowl, crawling back to the top ain't easy)
4. on my first trip i took my messiah and few metal lures in the back pack, no bait fishing, as it was more about exploring and learning the place, so did not carry anything heavy. On the subsequent trips, we decided to take bait fishing equipment and even managed to get a balloon out, in hope of catching something big, this really depends on the wind you get, I'm glad we did not catch anything big, simply because carrying it back to the top would have been a nightmare.
5. make sure you wear good shoes, with good grip, can't afford to slip, or roll your ankle smh

As you can see from the photo, we fished the rocks on the right hand side of the stairs (as you are going down), halfway down we jump and descended down the hill and terrain very carefully. We fished the rocks all around until you come to the beach front or where the stairs finish at the bottom. The place had lots of potential for kingfish and anything else, but like anywhere else, it does not guarantee a catch, for me it was as much about fishing as it was about walking, exploring, sightseeing and enjoying the cliffs, waters and rock pools.

I have been thinking of going down there again in the coming weeks, to do some more spinning, but waiting for some warmer weather
Last edited by Mick.S on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks so much that helped heaps ! I have a messiah aswell:) haha the pictures are awesome

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:00 pm

looks very hektic! cheers for sharing mick.s! i wouldnt mind giving it a crack now :)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:03 pm

The one thing with fishing reports is that you only hear about the times anglers are successful.

For example someone may go to the punchbowl numerous times until they are successful. So there are many fishless trips.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:06 pm

It was great fun...good luck and be safe

jezza

Post by jezza » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:28 pm

psara1 nothink wrong with asking the same question 100 times to get it right if u dont wanna answer then dont

Return to “Cape Schanck”