Squid Oliver’s Hill & Daveys Bay

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Squid Lips

Squid Oliver’s Hill & Daveys Bay

Post by Squid Lips » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:19 pm

I think I love fishing way to much!

First post to share my Saturday fishing Adventure.

I have been know you fish from piers south of Mornington for about the last year or so. Time of day doesn’t seem to matter to much though morning and low tide seem to be the best. Mornington pier is my choice for late afternoon after work sessions. Catching squid from both sides of the pier. I’m posting this in hope that people will start sharing their stories, good, bad or indifferent they are all entertaining to me. So here is my latest story.

Recently got a boat license and bought a tinny. Went out last Saturday as I usually get out as much as I can for as long as I can 6am -6pm (I know I’m a maniac when it comes to
fishing). Squid fishing is what I like about port Phillip Bay. After a couple of hours and some good size squid. I headed to Yakka reef to see what was around. 1 hour there about later, I hooked up. After a short fight with what I though was a good size snapper. Turns out it was a 90cm gummy shark. This was my first Gummy shark. Stayed out for another hour and nothing but small flathead and a banjo shark. I returned to squid fishing in front of Oliver’s Hill lookout. Caught a few more squid of good size. Bagged out and went home.

What I’m loving most about fishing these days is taking my 8yr old daughter out and sharing the experience with her. Though the best part is when she tell everyone she out fished me the last time we went out

So what have you caught lately?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Squid Oliver’s Hill & Daveys Bay

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:18 pm

great job taking the kids out mate.
squid are plentiful down that way, make your way down towards mornington from frankston boat ramp and fish pretty much all the weed patches you come across, bit by bit. they all hold squid.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:25 am

Nice. Sounds like you had a good fun.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:46 am

Sounds like a top session mate!
Congrats on your first gummy.
Cheers 👍🏻

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:53 pm

Squid Lips wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:19 pm
I think I love fishing way to much!

First post to share my Saturday fishing Adventure.

I have been know you fish from piers south of Mornington for about the last year or so. Time of day doesn’t seem to matter to much though morning and low tide seem to be the best. Mornington pier is my choice for late afternoon after work sessions. Catching squid from both sides of the pier. I’m posting this in hope that people will start sharing their stories, good, bad or indifferent they are all entertaining to me. So here is my latest story.

Recently got a boat license and bought a tinny. Went out last Saturday as I usually get out as much as I can for as long as I can 6am -6pm (I know I’m a maniac when it comes to
fishing). Squid fishing is what I like about port Phillip Bay. After a couple of hours and some good size squid. I headed to Yakka reef to see what was around. 1 hour there about later, I hooked up. After a short fight with what I though was a good size snapper. Turns out it was a 90cm gummy shark. This was my first Gummy shark. Stayed out for another hour and nothing but small flathead and a banjo shark. I returned to squid fishing in front of Oliver’s Hill lookout. Caught a few more squid of good size. Bagged out and went home.

What I’m loving most about fishing these days is taking my 8yr old daughter out and sharing the experience with her. Though the best part is when she tell everyone she out fished me the last time we went out

So what have you caught lately?
im a bit late due to school and other situations but IMO the best overall pier is mornington with the big snapper off the end the squid and gars on the inside and all the reef species its a great place to go. if your landbased and your trying to get squid from olivers hill to daveys bay dont bother you cant get the distance and its really inconsistent as well the best place to try for squid would probably be rye pier but its a long way away and you have to know how to fish the reef there. i remember a couple years back in about 12m of water out of mornington you can find huge schools of flathead they are generally about legal size and once you find them you wont stop catching them. overall it's just putting in the time and finding what works for you.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”