Port melb May 14 afternoon Daiwa Black Label v2 6102

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Port melb May 14 afternoon Daiwa Black Label v2 6102

Post by Sebb » Thu May 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Had to pick up missus after work, thought I'd stop by port melb for a quick flick for an hour or so 4:30pm-5:30pm. Didn't even bother checking tide etc.
A lot of people as expected. Couple kayaks, two tinnies and one tournament boat sorta looking (you know, the low open deck with big outboard). Heard one of the guy on it yelling, probably lost a good fish.

Saw a man in hi vis jacket pulled a trevally around 25cm between the pylons, when he put it in his fish net bag, it's full of good sized pinkies, one was pretty big around 40cm.
Sun was setting and more pinkies caught, one kid caught a salmon around 20cm then this old man caught this snapper around 45cm I'd say. He looked very happy, jumping around and laughing loudly, good on him.
rps20200514_192551.jpg
I was there with my new rod Black Label 6102 rod 2-4kg, testing it with Caldia LT 2500 and 10lb line, casting zman slim swimz on 1/8 jig head. Very happy with it. The tip is very sensitive and a lot of power towards the butt.
Tried hop, roll on the bottom, roll on surface. I could feel the small paddle tail wobbling, I could feel the thump thump rolling on the bottom. The handle makes me holding the rod is a joy on its own, perfect grip, though it's a bit bulky.

Just as I thought, I'd be happy to hook any fish big or small, been a while, and be great to test the rod with a fish on, I hooked a pinkie.
Checked the watch and it was time to get the missus, and then that one last cast, I managed to land the pinkie just before 5:30pm. Was very delicate tap tap, yet I felt it.
Set the hook and was on.

Though it's a 2-4 kg rod, the tap tap feeling was like if I was using 1-3 kg rod.
The tip to mid section did have the 1-3kg rod feeling, but when it came to the butt, it got a lot power. So I could fight the fish with the tip with the rod tip down (sorta parallel to the water) or lift the rod tip up and sideways to use the butt to drag out the fish from the pylons with more power. Be interesting to fight bigger fish. Happy to land a fish after like 50+ days of no fishing.

Overall, what a rod to have. Told my mate and he bought one straight away. Lucky Armadale Angling had one left. It's a discontinued model. Maybe Daiwa will release Black Label v3. Or rename it to a TD something something.
rps20200514_194332.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Port melb May 14 afternoon Daiwa Black Label v2 6102

Post by bowl » Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Nice write up.... :tu:
Hanging to go fishing.... :wt:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Nice result for first fish back and only an hour spare

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Nice work Seb!
I too couldn’t wait and got a couple of pinkies and a few salmon on my first outing 😊
Cheers 👍🏻

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 am

:tu: Top notch report and review!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 15, 2020 9:02 am

Told you it was worth it, now wait till you hook something big. it has some serious balls that rod.
you will get used to the grips, even i thought it was a bit bulky at first .
i like the skinnier grips on the generation blacks and such, but now am used to this type.

wait till you use a Commander or battler, its a step or two up again!

The fast taper rods now will feel like noodles compared to this Extra fast Model!

As mentioned many times here by many people, once you get that quality stick its hard to go back.
you will never understand that saying until you use one!
i understand not everyone can afford to spend big on rods and reels, but the difference is quite a bit between the average rods and a good one.
gotta draw the line somewhere though

cheers

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri May 15, 2020 9:19 am

Good job Seb, good to see it all came together & great to see your back into wetting a line.. :tu:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri May 15, 2020 10:28 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:02 am
wait till you use a Commander or battler, its a step or two up again!
Oh mate, dont make me start, missus might kill me lol :rf:
purple5ive wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:02 am
As mentioned many times here by many people, once you get that quality stick its hard to go back.
you will never understand that saying until you use one!
i understand not everyone can afford to spend big on rods and reels, but the difference is quite a bit between the average rods and a good one.
gotta draw the line somewhere though

cheers
This is true. Cant really compare unless you tried all.
meppstas wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:19 am
Good job Seb, good to see it all came together & great to see your back into wetting a line.. :tu:

cheers
Adrian
Thanks Adrian.
I'm hoping to fish for trout stream the next few days before the season closed end of this month.
Hopefully not overly fished. I don't usually fish for trout close to spawning time (last time I did, I landed a big girl and it sprouted eggs all over me, I felt bad), but after 50+ days of no fishing, kinda miss the stream fishing.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 am

Great report Seb :gj:

And sneaking in a session before you picked up Mrs Seb :tu: Excellent "Time Management"

Also great to read that a few people are getting onto a few fish

:fi:

especially that one for you :bn: and putting that newfangled rod through its paces too , , , , glad it worked well for you

And a nice Pinkie for your efforts too , , , , so, is/was that dinner sorted for you , , , , "Pinkie Ala Seb"

Cheers, Bugs

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 am

Bugatti wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 am
Great report Seb :gj:

And sneaking in a session before you picked up Mrs Seb :tu: Excellent "Time Management"

Also great to read that a few people are getting onto a few fish

:fi:

especially that one for you :bn: and putting that newfangled rod through its paces too , , , , glad it worked well for you

And a nice Pinkie for your efforts too , , , , so, is/was that dinner sorted for you , , , , "Pinkie Ala Seb"

Cheers, Bugs
Thanks Mr Bug.
Quite surprised of the snapper catches this late in the season. Was expecting aussie salmon here and there by now. Water temp of northern PPB is around 12°C.

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”