Albert park lake

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Sammy123
Has liked: 40 times

Albert park lake

Post by Sammy123 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:30 am

Had my first dedicated session at Albert park lake around 6:00 this morning, was gonna fish stkilda pier but the wind was up, glad I didn't in the end, managed a carp of 75cm on a zman slim swim within the first few casts, took me straight through a tree then took off and emptied most of my spool, fought it through the tree for about 15 minutes, was only running 6lb so its a miracle I landed it. My first carp on a plastic and definitely my biggest, also managed a trout on a vibe and dropped a good fish that I reckon was a yellowbelly.

All in all a good first attempt :gj: will definitely be fishing there more often
_20191116_080036.JPG
_20191116_104403-min.JPG
I'm pretty new to this sort of fishing, don't fish freshwater very often, much less with lures, though I did learn a lot today.

The carp can be quite aggressive towards lures at times, I was working my plastic pretty fast when it hit. Though they do seem to shut down a lot of the time, I was sight casting several big groups of them and they wouldn't take anything, anyone got tips for getting their attention when their like this? or are they pretty much a no go?

The trout are small but determined, the one today hit several times over about 3 casts to the same place before hooking up. They don't fight very hard but they do jump a fair bit which is always fun :tu:

As for the yellowbelly I still haven't really figured them out, i've seen a few chilling out on sand patches and in shady spots under trees but similar to the carp they wouldn't take anything, tips for these guys would also be appreciated if anyones got any :) (i.e lures, retrieve, time, areas to target etc)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Albert park lake

Post by Lightningx » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:41 pm

You did really well with that big carp on that gear mate! Sounds like it was an awesome fight!
Nice pics :)
Cheers :tu:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm

What a.stocker

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Someone’s been watching Ross’s Albert Park lake fishing video haha.

Good job on getting the carp. Not often they hit plastics although I’ve heard you can get good reaction bites out of them sometimes.

Shallow to medium running small cranks work best for yellas in there imo. Think bream size. Slow rolled and mix in a few rods shakes until you find something that works.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 am

Nice mate - pretty damn good results for a first trip there and not being familiar with the style of fishing!

Were you down the south end? When we were there thurs night, there was a thick green alge built up down there that made visibility next to nothing, but cleared up the a hundred or so meters from there.

Sammy123

Post by Sammy123 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:10 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 am
Nice mate - pretty damn good results for a first trip there and not being familiar with the style of fishing!

Were you down the south end? When we were there thurs night, there was a thick green alge built up down there that made visibility next to nothing, but cleared up the a hundred or so meters from there.
Was at the end closest to stkilda, visability wasn't great but I reckon it makes the fish a good deal less finicky

Sammy123

Post by Sammy123 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:20 pm

ducky wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:23 pm
Someone’s been watching Ross’s Albert Park lake fishing video haha.

Good job on getting the carp. Not often they hit plastics although I’ve heard you can get good reaction bites out of them sometimes.

Shallow to medium running small cranks work best for yellas in there imo. Think bream size. Slow rolled and mix in a few rods shakes until you find something that works.
Cheers :) will have to give it a try, did have some success with them in the end, went back this morning and managed a 60cm yella on a little slim swim.

Very impressed with this lake :tu:

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Good effort mate! Im bloody 0-3 there haha

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”