Squid grounds St Kilda and Elwood

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Squid grounds St Kilda and Elwood

Post by Sebb » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 pm

GregExplores wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 am
Mattblack wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:19 am
GregExplores wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:54 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 am
You can get squid straight in front of StKilda Marina, but it's not very productive to be honest.
wow! is it common to get them there during the day? I have been looking for a local squid spot since I don't own a car haha.
If your not in a boat you’d have to cast out a fair distance (plus they won’t let you into the boat storage area.
damn, has anyone every caught squid at Williamstown beach or north point boat ramp? They look like there might be squid since there is a-lot of seaweed beds. Point oromond next to st kilda also looks ok but i think it is really shallow.
Every now and then there's reports of people catching in st kilda, port melb, Williamstown. But there seems to low in quantity. Unsure if its because not many squid there or not many people targetting them there. I remember a report of an arrow squid caught in Docklands!

I guess a lot people rather spend a bit more time traveling to more prominent places than spending time in unpromising places.
Instead of trying to fish for squid at st kilda pier for 6 hrs. You probably better off spend 1 hr or so traveling to the more prominent places and have more productive squid fishing for couple of hours.

Potential 6 hrs donut vs potential 2 hrs bag out.

😅
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:16 pm

GregExplores wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
GregExplores wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
You can get squid straight in front of StKilda Marina, but it's not very productive to be honest.
wow! is it common to get them there during the day? I have been looking for a local squid spot since I don't own a car haha.
If your not in a boat you’d have to cast out a fair distance (plus they won’t let you into the boat storage area.
damn, has anyone every caught squid at Williamstown beach or north point boat ramp? They look like there might be squid since there is a-lot of seaweed beds. Point oromond next to st kilda also looks ok but i think it is really shallow.
The rock wall near Willy beach is one of my go to spots for squid. I drift right up along the no boating markers, as close as i can get in to the rock wall. Usually between 2 and 4 metres. You could easily cast this far out if you were fishing on the rock wall. This spot almost never fails to produce squid, any time of the day.

There are other spots in the area, but you need a boat to get to them.. mostly around the Point Cook marine park.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:16 pm
GregExplores wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
GregExplores wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
The rock wall near Willy beach is one of my go to spots for squid. I drift right up along the no boating markers, as close as i can get in to the rock wall. Usually between 2 and 4 metres. You could easily cast this far out if you were fishing on the rock wall. This spot almost never fails to produce squid, any time of the day.

There are other spots in the area, but you need a boat to get to them.. mostly around the Point Cook marine park.
Thank you mate! I'll hopefully go try out that spot when we are allowed back out to fish. It Looks very snaggy on google maps so do you loose alot of jigs fishing there?

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 pm
GregExplores wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
GregExplores wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Every now and then there's reports of people catching in st kilda, port melb, Williamstown. But there seems to low in quantity. Unsure if its because not many squid there or not many people targetting them there. I remember a report of an arrow squid caught in Docklands!

I guess a lot people rather spend a bit more time traveling to more prominent places than spending time in unpromising places.
Instead of trying to fish for squid at st kilda pier for 6 hrs. You probably better off spend 1 hr or so traveling to the more prominent places and have more productive squid fishing for couple of hours.

Potential 6 hrs donut vs potential 2 hrs bag out.

😅
True mate, I usually try fish at Brighton for them but still haven't caught one haha

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 pm

GregExplores wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 pm
Thank you mate! I'll hopefully go try out that spot when we are allowed back out to fish. It Looks very snaggy on google maps so do you loose alot of jigs fishing there?
Not from the boat, no. I only lose a handful of jigs a year.

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 pm
GregExplores wrote:
But fishing from land-based would probably be too hard right? I don't own a boat so I would only be able to fish landbased

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:14 am

No different to catching squid around the rock groynes near Sandringham harbour.. which i used to do before i got another boat. You might lose a few more jigs, you just have to be a bit careful.

Edit: I used to travel all the way to Sandringham to fish.. not knowing that i could probably catch squid at Willy.
Last edited by SteveoTheTiger on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:20 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:14 am
No different to catching squid around the rock groynes near Sandringham harbour.. which i used to do before i got another boat. You might lose a few more jigs, you just have to be a bit careful.
Thanks mate! i'll go give it a try after we are allowed to fish, might chuck in a whiting under a float as well to see if i can tempt any squid with that :tu:

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:07 am

GregExplores wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
GregExplores wrote:
But fishing from land-based would probably be too hard right? I don't own a boat so I would only be able to fish landbased
Hi Greg - this is a snaggy area full of reef. Your best bet to save a few jigs is to fish heavier main line and about 20lb leader, so if the crown of the jig snags the reef you can usually pull hard enough to straighten the prongs and retrieve the jig. This will reduce your casting distance though.

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:13 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:07 am
GregExplores wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
GregExplores wrote:
Hi Greg - this is a snaggy area full of reef. Your best bet to save a few jigs is to fish heavier main line and about 20lb leader, so if the crown of the jig snags the reef you can usually pull hard enough to straighten the prongs and retrieve the jig. This will reduce your casting distance though.
Thanks for the tip! i'll probably do that because I don't fancy loosing any expensive jigs haha :gj:

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”