Kerford Rd Pier - Sat 11/04/15

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Mikey87

Kerford Rd Pier - Sat 11/04/15

Post by Mikey87 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:00 pm

G'day all,

Headed down to Kerford Rd Pier this morning at around 7:30 - absolutely stunning morning for it.

Flicking soft plastics today; still working out the techniques and slowly feel like I'm getting more comfortable with it. Gear for today was a 2-5kg rod with a 2500 size reel spooled with 8lb braid & about 2 meters of 10lb fluorocarbon leader.

Not too much on the go until around 8:30ish when large schools of small Australian Salmon moved through - most around the 23 - 25cm mark with a few undersize. They stayed on the chew for around half an hour before moving on. A couple more schools came through over the next hour and & half and were still biting when I packed up. From what I could tell they were flocking in to this side of the bay in general.

I've taken home half a dozen decent size fish for a feed and let the rest swim on.

Most of my hits came on 3" grub tails in darker green colours with good transparency (Zman 3" grubs in Motor-oil were the pick) and was using mainly 1/8oz TT Rev Heads jigheads. Found the Rev Heads were working better than standard jigheads - not sure but I think it would be from the flash off the spinner; can anyone confirm if Australian Salmon are attracted to flash?

Got chatting to a good local bloke down there who was having good success on metal slugs as well - top guy who gave me some great pointers on not only the area but also on cooking up the catch; if you're on here Ange, thanks very much mate.

All in all a great fun morning on plastics with light gear!

I know they're not monster snapper but considering I've been at it for a good few months now trying to get my first Melbourne land-based keeper, I'm really chuffed with the result.

Cheers all & hope you can get out and get onto some too.

Mike.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Kerford Rd Pier - Sat 11/04/15

Post by Basti » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:47 pm

my first ever fish on a lure was a sambo mate. great fun to catch. and yes, they love flash

Mikey87

Post by Mikey87 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks for confirming Basti. Gonna head out again tomorrow and keep working on it. Cheers mate.

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:45 am

Say hi to Angelo for me. Top bloke and I caught my first salmon when he advised me how to. That was like the first week I got into fishing. He likes to use slugs for them.
Abuthen

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:10 am

Abuthen wrote:Say hi to Angelo for me. Top bloke and I caught my first salmon when he advised me how to. That was like the first week I got into fishing. He likes to use slugs for them.
Angelo was not there today but the small sambos came to play. Good fun on light gear.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Lightning

Post by Lightning » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Angelo is a great guy. He has his name engraved on the pier from 1991.
Had fished there a lot mainly using floats for mullets. Best mullet fisherman I have seen!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 pm

passed by the pier after work and the mullet master (a.k.a. Angelo) was there. :notworthy: :roflmao: I showed him this topic and it was all laughs after that. No salmon around but I cant complain.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”