Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Werribee river 12/12/2020

Post by cobby » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:20 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Great session Seb
After reading up on bass, the bigger models should be closer to the river mouth, as they don't grow large in the fresh.
What do you think ????
Cheers Gra
Usually only winter/spring to spawn in brackish waters. My biggest that was nudging 50cm came from over 30km as the crow flies from the first natural salt barrier. A mate got one over 55cm almost 20km upstream of the first natural salt barrier, and another mate got one nudging 45cm in a similar area that was as black as the ace of spades suggesting it's been way up in the fresh for a very long time. Fisheries study on the Snowy River Bass before stockings started had fish well over 40cm ping the acoustic monitors almost at the NSW border.

They grow dependant upon the size of the river and prevalence of food sources. Quite a few east coast creeks and smaller rivers do produce fish that struggle to hit 50cm based off peoples catches

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: Werribee river 12/12/2020

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:38 am

Sebb wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:04 pm
Texas wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Great session Seb
After reading up on bass, the bigger models should be closer to the river mouth, as they don't grow large in the fresh.
What do you think ????
Cheers Gra
I think it depends on the time of year. They move upstream downstream depends on water salinity, maybe clarity, and definitely breed/not breed. Where they live definitely impacting their growth rate etc.

Someone at a tackle shop told me once, during spawning season, EP move upstream and bass move downstream, so in one stretch we might come across both. Possible but unlikely as the fisheries been trying to keep bass east of Wilson Prom and EP west of Wilson Prom. Not 100% sure but sounds logical to me.

Until recently they announced of EP fingerlings stocked in Gippsland.
In the Werribee river, you get both species in the Brackish water which starts behind the Zoo, it's where the salt meets the fresh. There are EP's in the estuary system and they move upstream from the salt to get to this Brackish water and probably Bass in the fresh that come to this spot also, some big fish there at spawning time

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”