Landbased feed?

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Landbased feed?

Post by Aimless » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:27 am

Hey all,

Probably not worth a full report but had my afternoon fishing yesterday.

Didn't have as long as I thought, my wife was only working for half the day and I had a half hour drive each way from Tarneit so all up I was on the water from around 2pm - 4pm. Hot and cloudy, pretty nasty wind had picked up, started fishing pretty much bang on the low tide.

First stop was Wyndham Harbour. I tried the marina arm first, with the proper carpark and all that. One guy set up far down the rocks with three or four big bait rods, didn't look like anything was happening for him. A couple of guys flicking lures, it was also their first time there and they were asking for tips but I was just as clueless! Had a go with the squid jig, obviously not the best conditions but I felt like eating a squid, so you know, why not? I'm not so comfortable on the rocks so I decided to check out the other spots.

By the way Seb, I saw the general store but since I didn't have time, I didn't grab any bait. On my way out of the Marina, I saw there's also a bait vending machine next to the toilet block there.

Went to the south arm of the marina, parking in the little dirt pull off there. A couple of guys pitched themselves right on the end of the arm which had the best position with the wind, they were using basit for something. I had a few casts but the rocks here are steeper and taller and my line was getting a bit thrashed on the mussels. In the end my little 10lb fluoro got wasted and I lost my jig on the last cast. Happens! Thinking of upsizing to a thicker leader for that - any recommendations? I like fishing light but obviously it doesn't work so well in that situation.

Finally, went down to the boat ramp at the Werribee River mouth. Nice spot - easy access, lots of families around having a nice time. Set myself up on the jetty there. After a few casts this little kid rocks up completely decked out, schmancy rod, huge lure, mask, fishing shoes, backpack, he was ready for anything! I caught a little salmon with my tiny red soft plastic, this thing is falling to pieces but fish love it. Kid asks if he can keep it and tell his dad he caught it. So he runs off and after that he's my best friend, wanting to exchange lures, putting tuna oil on my plastics and stuff. Too funny. Bunch of other kids saw my fish and were hassling their dad why he didn't bring his plastic lures.
IMG_8814.jpg
Went for a walk down the beach. Geez, the tidal pull there is crazy. But it's a really nice easy to access beach, the wind was much better there. Switched to a 10g pink metal. Caught another salmon and the kid came running down the beach again. Told him sorry bud, time to go and he moped off.
IMG_8815.jpg
All in a all a funny kind of day... wasn't expecting much in those conditions at that time of day, but caught something! Note both were released into the deep blue.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:20 am

For what its worth i caught my personal best Flathead while drifting in that little cove on the north wall of Wyndham harbour before they built the rock groynes. It was around 45 to 50cm long, my ruler was only 40cm. Couldnt have been more than 100m past the rock wall and 50m from the beach (probably right where that first rock groyne is now). Less than 2m of water.. it was right at the end of the drift before we were going to head out a bit deeper.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Davco19
Has liked: 43 times

Post by Davco19 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:42 pm

Aimless wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:01 pm
Hey all,

Next Sunday I've gotta drop my wife to Tarneit as she's working on the weekend.

I'll be sticking around the area all day so figured I could find somewhere to set up for a fish. Anything worth checking out? I've got Altona Pier marked on my map but reading old reports it looks like its pretty slow there, and 0 squid.

Would love a go at a squid or anything else edible!

Cheers

Is that 0 squid recently or none at all? I've caught them off Altona pier and seen others catch them too. Always been early morning though so don't know about the rest of the day.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:45 pm

Full moon is not party time for squid.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:34 pm

DougieK wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:45 pm
Full moon is not party time for squid.
Hmm, thanks, was not aware of that with squid mate! The same can be said with trout...however I’ve found they do feed better after dark during a full moon. Do you find it similar with squid dude, or do they seem to shut down altogether?

It’s interesting how moon, and/or barometer, affects some species more than others.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”