New to: Docklands & CBD Urban Fishing - Advice needed

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

New to: Docklands & CBD Urban Fishing - Advice needed

Post by Andrews » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:31 am

Hey eveyrone,

It's been a short while since I last posted here and this is a little different that the EGI content you're probarly expecting, but I've made the move up to Docklands full time for a year.

This is really my first experience fishing CBD/Urban and I'm looking for some advice so I can better find my footing fishing these new conditions.

So off the bat I've moved into Docklands in one of the following apartments marked in red, meaning I'm within catsing distance of either the Docklands harbour, or the Yarra. I'm also open to traveling a little to the the Maribyrnong, more inland along the Yarra and even the odd trip to Station Pier.
Optimized-Screenshot_4.png
I'll be focusing plastics and lures and the setup I'll be rocking is a 2-4kg rod, 8lb braid, a leaders between 6lb-15lb.
Optimized-IMG_9647.JPEG
The advice I'm looking for and the questions I really have are:
- Is this gear approporate? 6lb fluro for bream? 10lb for everything else?
- What kind of lures work effectively?
- What should I expect for the cooler months? Winter?
- Are there any spots that people recommend exploring?
- Are there trends? (Fish are more active feeding mornings, etc) Clarity? How does rain effect the system?

First Urban session 13/03/2022

After joining the Moomba celebrations I decided to have a wander around the harbour and have a flick. I've recently had great success with trevally/aji back home using these 60cm worm aji lures from Aliexpress (50 pack, $3.50aud including shipping) in this vibrant red colour paired with working a high action movement. Started in the cleaner shallows and saw a lot of mixed sized bream chilling, though easily spooked.
Optimized-IMG_4175 (1).JPEG
I started casting past the schooling fish and working the worm with a slow gentle darting retreive and within 30s of it sinking I had about 4-5 bream chasing it and pulling the tail. I then moved into casting the edge of the shadows and had a couple of bigger bream hit the lure, the second hit hooked up and managed one mid 30s.
Optimized-IMG_3927.JPG
Few casts later had smaller pinky took the worm.

Anyway, trying again today and I'm keen to explore the fishing this city has to offer.
Cheers!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: New to: Docklands & CBD Urban Fishing - Advice needed

Post by Sebb » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:07 pm

I'd use 4lb and about two rod length.
In winter/cooler months, they go deep. Vibing close to pylons usually works. Something like TT switchblade and strike pro micro vibe.
After rain, if it's milo chocolate, don't even bother thinking about it.
Yarra is generally easier to catch, but there's more current than docks. Can be tricky casting light lures.

There's a good post here, few years ago, about docks bream, still applicable. Can't remember exactly though.
Should be able to find by using the search function.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 am

Cheers Sebb, I'll look into getting some 4lb and yeah - doubled my leader length to about that yesterday. Made a difference for sure.
Might have to do some research about the vibes, cheers mate!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:02 am

Andrews wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 am
Cheers Sebb, I'll look into getting some 4lb and yeah - doubled my leader length to about that yesterday. Made a difference for sure.
Might have to do some research about the vibes, cheers mate!
Watch this.
It's few years old but still applicable.

https://youtu.be/WTZjsUpY9Rc

Here is the post by sloth:

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=10301&hilit=Docklands+bream

Good info there.

I don't work in Docklands anymore. So I don't fish metro as often anymore. I'd fish with you otherwise.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”