Docklands 14/06/21

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Docklands 14/06/21

Post by Charles7 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Went fishing with a couple of mates down at Docklands from about 1:45pm to 5:30pm. Basically started on the low tide and fished the run-in until dark. Water was very brown, no visibility to speak of. There wasn't a whisper of wind either, some of the calmest conditions I've fished in for a while. In saying that I landed 8 fish (7 bream and 1 cobbler). One of the bream nudged 28.5cm and another pushed 26cm, the rest not big enough to bother measuring. My mate also landed a bream in the mid-20s. All caught on prawns fished on the bottom. We went home pretty happy since we didn't expect to catch a thing considering the time of year and the water clarity.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Docklands 14/06/21

Post by Sebb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:46 pm

You did well considering the water quality etc. :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:56 pm

Not a bad session mate.
Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:17 pm

The docks bream usually fire up a few days after heavy rain. They will hang around the bottom this time of the year, used to do really well on them with metal vibes teabagging the pylons after dark. My best sessions have been when the water is like coffee

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:44 pm

eddyt wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:17 pm
The docks bream usually fire up a few days after heavy rain. They will hang around the bottom this time of the year, used to do really well on them with metal vibes teabagging the pylons after dark. My best sessions have been when the water is like coffee
This post contains a wealth of information for those who wish to find it. You need to put yourselves in Professor Julius Summner Miller mode and ask "why is it so"?

The key to it is that most of the discoloured water in flood events is fresh water. Fresh water is less dense than salt water and tends to stratify in a layer above the salt water.
In short, the water near the bottom is still salt and not as discoloured. It's what the fish prefer.

Seek out the deep water, specially around pylons or any structure under water. River and tidal currents will often scour out deeper pockets around them. The fish seek them out as the deeper water will provide them with cleaner water and offer the some extra protection from strong currents. These deep water pockets will also contain food sources for the fish.

To catch a fish then think like a fish.
:wt:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 pm

I heard teabagging works really well at Webb Dock after dark too
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am

eddyt wrote:
I'm a terrible at lure fishing and have been lucky to land a few reddies on SPs but that's it. Can vibes be fished throughout the water column or do they sink to the bottom?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 am

Charles7 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am
eddyt wrote:
I'm a terrible at lure fishing and have been lucky to land a few reddies on SPs but that's it. Can vibes be fished throughout the water column or do they sink to the bottom?
They are usually heavy and sink to the bottom real quick. But that's what you want this time of year, especially with so much rain (fresh water). The salt water be down deep and that's where the fish are sitting.

Let it sink to the bottom, slow lift about 0.5-1m, and let it drop again. Pick the slack line, wait few seconds. Repeat.
Usually they take the lure on the lift or the drop.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:10 pm

4liters wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 pm
I heard teabagging works really well at Webb Dock after dark too
I see what you did here ;-)

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 am
Charles7 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am
eddyt wrote:
They are usually heavy and sink to the bottom real quick. But that's what you want this time of year, especially with so much rain (fresh water). The salt water be down deep and that's where the fish are sitting.

Let it sink to the bottom, slow lift about 0.5-1m, and let it drop again. Pick the slack line, wait few seconds. Repeat.
Usually they take the lure on the lift or the drop.
Thanks for the advice Sebb, I might buy a blade or two and give this a go. Being an avid reader of your posts, I believe you've said Docklands bream are a little tricky to catch on lure so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”