More of yarra bream and learning curve

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

More of yarra bream and learning curve

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:13 am

Another quick 2 hrs session in the yarra, tried diff spot. 7-9pm. I'm getting the hang of this yarra bream fishing, starting to show some consistency in the catching rate.
Yarra being dirtier and tidal, is easier to fool the bream than Docklands.

Started with zman grub motor oil as usual and 1/28 #2 hidden weight jih head. Swarmed by the smaller ones left right center, mid top bottom water, was just hit, tap, hit, couldn't get to the big ones.
IMG20210218192826_resize_45.jpg
Moved a bit and I saw a school of good sized bream from the bridge, they weren't spooked when I was on the bridge, but soon I came down by the bank they're gone. So I waited few mins back on the bridge, saw them, and then I approached them like a ninja, stood 2-3 meters from the water. The ninja approaching 'technique' worked! Hooked more bream, but same, smaller ones got to the grub first before the bigger ones.
IMG20210218191601_resize_58.jpg
Moved and changed to sx40, hoping the smaller ones won't be hitting it and only the aggressive big ones would.
And again, it worked! Landed a solid healthy 28cm. Hit like an EP, I thought it was an EP, but it was a solid bream. Not a monster but fun regardless.
IMG20210218193314_resize_14.jpg
IMG20210218193257_resize_2.jpg
My reflection is I found my catch rate got better since I started using light medium taper rod, super thin braid, 3m long of fluorocarbon leader, lightest jighead possible and suuuuper slow retrieve. When I thought I did slow enough, I had to slow it even more.

Still struggling when there's a bit of current as the plastic with light jighead couldn't get deep enough, heavier jighead isn't finesse enough and spook them easily.
Any tips on fishing finesse on a bit of current?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: More of yarra bream and learning curve

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 am

Sebb wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:13 am
Another quick 2 hrs session in the yarra, tried diff spot. 7-9pm. I'm getting the hang of this yarra bream fishing, starting to show some consistency in the catching rate.
Yarra being dirtier and tidal, is easier to fool the bream than Docklands.

Started with zman grub motor oil as usual and 1/28 #2 hidden weight jih head. Swarmed by the smaller ones left right center, mid top bottom water, was just hit, tap, hit, couldn't get to the big ones.
IMG20210218192826_resize_45.jpg
Moved a bit and I saw a school of good sized bream from the bridge, they weren't spooked when I was on the bridge, but soon I came down by the bank they're gone. So I waited few mins back on the bridge, saw them, and then I approached them like a ninja, stood 2-3 meters from the water. The ninja approaching 'technique' worked! Hooked more bream, but same, smaller ones got to the grub first before the bigger ones.
IMG20210218191601_resize_58.jpg
Moved and changed to sx40, hoping the smaller ones won't be hitting it and only the aggressive big ones would.
And again, it worked! Landed a solid healthy 28cm. Hit like an EP, I thought it was an EP, but it was a solid bream. Not a monster but fun regardless.
IMG20210218193314_resize_14.jpg
IMG20210218193257_resize_2.jpg
My reflection is I found my catch rate got better since I started using light medium taper rod, super thin braid, 3m long of fluorocarbon leader, lightest jighead possible and suuuuper slow retrieve. When I thought I did slow enough, I had to slow it even more.

Still struggling when there's a bit of current as the plastic with light jighead couldn't get deep enough, heavier jighead isn't finesse enough and spook them easily.
Any tips on fishing finesse on a bit of current?
Well done Seb, that looks like a well thought out session there. I really like the way you explain your tactics. You hit the nail on the head about slowing everything right down and also going to a light/medium rod, I also use 2 to 3 mtrs of 4lb fluro as a leader. Can't help you with current because I have always tried to avoid areas with current, some people use a really deep diver if there is a bit current

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:31 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 am
Well done Seb, that looks like a well thought out session there. I really like the way you explain your tactics. You hit the nail on the head about slowing everything right down and also going to a light/medium rod, I also use 2 to 3 mtrs of 4lb fluro as a leader. Can't help you with current because I have always tried to avoid areas with current, some people use a really deep diver if there is a bit current
Thanks!

And yeah the last two trips I avoided areas with current.

Using diving hardbodies was doable but the hardbody either 'shaking' too hard and 'shaking' too fast (against the current) and spooked the fish, ok for EP though,
or not 'shaking' enough and came to me too quickly when I retrieved with the current, and the fish didn't even bother looking.

Almost impossible to get to the bottom and finesse fishing with 1/40, 1/32 and even sometimes 1/28 in a water with some current.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Metal blades work really well in Docklands, and so do small sinking hard bodies like the strike pro micro vibes. Maybe give them a go. Otherwise when the Yarra is flowing too much you can walk over to Docklands, I've caught more in the docks than the Yarra.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm

eddyt wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:19 pm
Metal blades work really well in Docklands, and so do small sinking hard bodies like the strike pro micro vibes. Maybe give them a go. Otherwise when the Yarra is flowing too much you can walk over to Docklands, I've caught more in the docks than the Yarra.
Yeah ok, I'm still trying to crack the code of Docklands bream. I tried few times there and my catch rate there is terrible. Certainly yarra is easier for me

I caught couple bream years ago on metal vibe, in wet early spring though, water was a bit dirty and so much freshwater on top, so the bream was on the bottom. Might try again now that I use longer thinner line etc. That could be the cause.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”