Unplanned fishing session at Albert Park EP and Yarra bream

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Unplanned fishing session at Albert Park EP and Yarra bream

Post by Sebb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:17 pm

Mrs had to go to company dinner on Tue 02/02/2021 and she told me a bit last minute, so with no much preparation, I called a mate, packed the fishing gear, dropped mrs at the dinner place and off we went to Albert Park, fishing while waiting for her to finish dinner etc.

We fished around 6:30pm-9pm. 2.5 hrs fishing is better than nothing. Didn't check wind, barometer, etc (I normally do). Just rod, reel, bag full of lures. We landed three EPs. No trout, no yellowbelly. Biggest was 31cm.
Caught one EP on 2in paddle tail soft plastic in green colour with 1/16 #2 jig head and two on ecogear MX dark back with orange belly.

Simple technique, cast along the edge where usually there's a gap between the edge and the weed, retrieve along it. Vary the retrieve for the soft plastic but the ecogear mx being suspending, was superb during the pause, got few hits on the pause.
Can also cast to the weed, hop the soft plastic just on top of the weed.
Ecogear MX is a shallow dive suspending hardbody, no issue to cast into the weed and it'll be just on top of the weed and the EP will come out from the weed to hit it. Any shallow hardbodies will do, doesn't have to be ecogear MX. Suspending is even better, as it doesn't float right up on the pause.
IMG_20210204_233926_resize_71.jpg
Second unplanned fishing session was today.
Mrs got late shift and so I got couple hours of fishing after work before picking her up from her workplace.

Inspired by Purple5's bream catches, a mate and I were keen to look for bream. We know metro bream can be very hard to catch, but out of the three (nong, yarra, docks), I know yarra bream is the easiest to fool. So we went to yarra.

Again, didn't really check the weather etc just for couple hours flicking lures. I checked after I got home. Something like 50% moon and set around 1pm, so no moon at the time fishing 7-9pm. Peak high tide 9pm. Flat barometer 1001.

Water was still a little murky but was okay, good enough to fish. I mean, its yarra. Most of the time it's dirty.
Started with TT switch blade and Strike Pro micro vibe, targetting the poles around the mooring boats. Nothing...
Around 8pm, saw few bream flashing close to the edge, changed to zman grub 2in motor oil, 1/28 #2 hidden weight jig head. Followed, tapped by small bream, but couldn't get a hook-up.
Changed the leader from a rod length 6lb fluorocarbon to a 3 rod length fluorocarbon 4lb. Put a lot of s-factor. And tap tap bang! 23cm bream. Walked about 25m and bang! Another bream at 27cm. Then the last around 9pm was a solid 32cm.
All I did was cast, close the bail arm straight away after the plastic hits the water, keep the line tight for constant connection with the lure without moving the lure too much. Super slow roll on the bottom and a long pause. Almost like bait fishing.
IMG_20210205_001530_resize_41.jpg
IMG20210204211401_resize_70.jpg
IMG_20210205_001415_resize_50.jpg
While catching bream on lures in the Yarra is possible for me, I am still holding a donut record for marybrnong bream on lures. :rf:
Last edited by Sebb on Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

kingfisher

Re: Unplanned fishing session at Albert Park and Yarra

Post by kingfisher » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:14 am

Nice catch there Sebb and thanks for sharing. At least you get to fish for short hours :sr:

I shall see you on the water very soon. Tight lines.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:43 am

Another top report Sebb, you did well on both sessions with the time you had to fish mate.. well done..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:47 am

Win win, didn’t get dragged along to a work dinner and managed a little session instead. Brilliant.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 am

That's a great little session there Seb, nice write up too. Well done

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:14 am

Good stuff mate

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Excellent work Sebb, I might pack my Zman motor oil grubs for my session tomorrow at the Docklands.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:46 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:06 pm
Excellent work Sebb, I might pack my Zman motor oil grubs for my session tomorrow at the Docklands.
My records of bream on lures in docklands is terrible. Yarra bream is easier to fool. Not impossible to catch bream on lures in docks though.
If you're not catching any in docklands, go cross the spider bridge and fish from there and walk around up/down stream.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:02 pm

Nice going Seb

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times