The lure or the angler? Yarra bream

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

The lure or the angler? Yarra bream

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:11 pm

So my wife said: "go to Docklands and buy me this and that, and groceries on the way home".
What I heard in my head: "you can go fishing"
:-D

I've heard and seen the mussel lure and I thought I should try it.
IMG_20230113_210900.jpg
Fished yarra river 2:30pm-3:15pm, yep, 40-45 mins of fishing, broad day light, low tide, close to full moon. Except slightly dirty water and a bit of current movement, everything else should be against the good fishing condition. Not expecting to catch a fish, just want to play around with it and figure out how to fish with it.

I was going to take my infeet bfs, but decided to take the Bone Voyage UL travel spin rod instead. Because a travel rod is easier to hide than a butt joint infeet rod, lol.

2000 spin reel, 4lb line, mussel lure from BCF.

Tried few different techniques, diff casts, diff spots, bottom, drops, drifts, etc.

Then I got a hit, unexpectedly. Fish on, but dropped (drag too tight). But i was like "ooowh that's how you use it".

I'm still not 100% sure, but it's kinda mixed between grub plastic and micro vibe. Micro vibes has good fluttering drop, but gives too much vibration that often spooks them. While plastics can be worked on the bottom better than vibes (super slow roll, dragging the bottom and pause). This mussel lure has good fluttering drop and can be worked on the bottom.

That, apart from the usual of casting close to pylons, use the current, make sound judgement of how far to cast to get the lure in the strike zone using the depth and the speed of the current, etc.
Also, free spool fall is better, more natural, but hard to detect the bite.
Closed spool fall is easier to detect bites, but not as natural as it swings back to us.

Would've been easier to use bfs as we can still free spool drop it while holding the spool. Line goes out straight and can thumb it whenever there's a bite. While spin often has a slack and closing bail arm is slower than 'thumbing' a bc reel. Though we can watch the slack line to twitch or gets pulled to detect bites.

Not long til I got another hit. This time it was on a free spool drop with my other hand on the spool, feeling the line. I felt a subtle tap, closed the bail arm and stroke. Felt heavy for few seconds, no shakes at the start, few mins fight and landed a healthy 35cm male southern black bream.

IMG20230113151352_compress39.jpg
IMG20230113151310_compress14.jpg
The mussel lure falls nicely fluttering down to the bottom, I find it easier to cast out rather than vertical tea bagging like the traditional vibing.

I didn't have much time experimenting. I'd love to try diff techniques and in diff places. Because I caught bream there in similar condition with zman grub and sx40. So yeah, still not 100% sure on how to use it. But got the idea. Still unsure if it's the lure that made a somewhat successful short session in a condition against the odds, or it's just me being at the right time and place.

Or I'm simply good at it hahaha
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: The lure or the angler? Yarra bream

Post by mazman » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:02 pm

Do yourself a favour and grab some of the outback breamer baits muss lures if you want to get into that style of lure. Nicer action and extremely good at catching bigger bream
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:54 pm

mazman wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:02 pm
Do yourself a favour and grab some of the outback breamer baits muss lures if you want to get into that style of lure. Nicer action and extremely good at catching bigger bream
That's the original mussel lure yeah?
I tried looking at nearby shops, couldn't find.
Seems like buying online is the only way. Expensive though, and shipping fee too.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:19 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:54 pm
mazman wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:02 pm
That's the original mussel lure yeah?
I tried looking at nearby shops, couldn't find.
Seems like buying online is the only way. Expensive though, and shipping fee too.
Yeah its the original one. Not sure if its still the case but fishin.com.au was a good place to get them
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:04 pm

Great session there!
Would have been a beaut day flicking lures!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:41 pm

Andrews wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:04 pm
Great session there!
Would have been a beaut day flicking lures!
With you, I'm sure it's not the squid jigs. I'm sure its you.

You're a good squid fisherman regardless the jigs you use. :tu:

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”