Bream on lure- Kananook Creek

Everything about bream
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Bream on lure- Kananook Creek

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Between working and VCE time has been extremely limited, so for the second time this year I managed to sneak in a session. After work on Saturday I grabbed a rod and some lures and caught the bus to Kananook creek to try and catch a fish on lure for the very first time in the creek and just relax for a little while. I’ve watched videos of bream being caught on lure but I’ve never tried it myself so I was ambitious yet also very, very skeptical. I got to the creek at 1pm. The sun was blazing- far from ideal conditions. Undeterred, I started walking the bank casting anywhere I could get access. I was using a small hardbody, it was an atomic hardz crank, and I was really impressed by its action. However, after 3 hours of walking and casting and nothing to show for it I was starting to lose faith. I tried slowing down my retrieve, jerking the lure sharply every few winds. Suddenly I felt a soft tug before realising I was on. I couldn’t believe it, I was totally shocked- a fish, on a lure, in Kananook creek! As the fish neared I realised it was a mullet, quite small about 16cm. But I didn’t care, I had achieved my goal and couldn’t have been happier. I continued to fish but soon ended up losing my lure. I was annoyed but still determined, so I tied on a soft plastic and continued to fish. First cast and I get a hit! I cast again and I’m on. Yet again it’s a small fish but I’m just in awe that I’m actually catching fish on lures in the creek. I land the fish and it’s a salmon, a small feisty aggressive and fun addition to my catch for the day. I continued to fish the soft plastic and kept catching more salmon, it was incredible. At one stage it was a fish every cast. After I caught about 20 I got bored decided to try and catch something bigger. It was about 5pm now and the light was fading, on my walk back I caught more salmon despite moving away from the school. Eventually I noticed a litter trap in the water, from what I had learned watching videos I recognised it as structure, and thought it might possibly hold a bream. I casted to it, then casted again, and kept casting. After about 6 casts I was merely testing my casting accuracy, trying to get as close to it as possibly without getting snagged. Then suddenly I feel weight. A bigger salmon maybe? But then I felt the familiar pulsating head-shakes of a bream, before it took a screaming run. I watched as my line headed straight back to the litter trap, I tightened the drag and applied as much pressure as I could without snapping the 6lb line. I knew if the fish so much as tickled any structure the line would snap. I managed to bully it out and started steering it towards the middle of the river. Maybe? I thought as I started to gain confidence and realised catching it was a possibility. But no, the fish took yet another powerful run down river towards the litter trap, unable to do anything I held my rod, getting absolutely railed. I’ll never know how close the line was to snapping but somehow it didn’t give in. I started to steer it back to the bank yet again, and after going back and forth for another few minutes I got it to the bank. I jumped in the water and grabbed it, getting my shoes soaked in the process. I managed to grab the fish and took it on shore. I couldn’t believe it! Never did I expect to catch anything when I set out, and certainly not a large bream. I measured it first and it came in at a solid 41cm. I pulled out my phone to take a photo on its last 1% of charge and managed to get a few photos. Before releasing it back and watching it swim away. Absolutely stoked I trudged back in my soggy shoes, with a smile from ear to ear. I didn’t realise how much I missed fishing!
Cheers.
Attachments
D71BD857-B7C2-4F83-B2C8-49136C853D31.jpeg
5C0B616A-0CAC-4FB3-ABC8-91F608E4E8C0.jpeg
5CD90330-3008-4871-A712-C8A76A2F8DB0.jpeg
BADE5601-A5BD-47E5-8A7A-E04687DB30C8.jpeg
Last edited by Irishfisherman on Sun May 09, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Bream on lure- Kananook Creek

Post by Sebb » Sun May 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Oh mate a 41cm bream can be considered a trophy bream. To pro bream fishos it can be the fish to win a tournament.
It feels good when the plan works doesn't it.
And mullet on a hardz crank, that's the first I ever heard.
Great stuff :tu:
What plastic and jig head did you use? The big bream took it on the bottom?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:06 pm
Oh mate a 41cm bream can be considered a trophy bream. To pro bream fishos it can be the fish to win a tournament.
Cheers mate, I was equally as surprised with the mullet. I was using a 1/16 ounce jighead and a motor oil slim swim, idk if the plastic was on the bottom I think it was drifting when the fish took it but im not entirely sure.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun May 09, 2021 7:56 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm
Sebb wrote:
Cheers mate, I was equally as surprised with the mullet. I was using a 1/16 ounce jighead and a motor oil slim swim, idk if the plastic was on the bottom I think it was drifting when the fish took it but im not entirely sure.
Try again and remember it (bottom or not, free drifting, water clarity, the retrieve, etc). Bream tend to have a pattern in certain condition and location. You've caught one, so well done. Now get the consistency of the catch rate. :wt: tight lines :ft:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 pm

Great write up and catch mate - congrats

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am

That’s a very nice bream mate!
Well done 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Mon May 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Another top write up mate, great reward for your efforts.

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon May 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:56 pm
Irishfisherman wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm
Sebb wrote:
Try again and remember it (bottom or not, free drifting, water clarity, the retrieve, etc). Bream tend to have a pattern in certain condition and location. You've caught one, so well done. Now get the consistency of the catch rate. :wt: tight lines :ft:
Ill definitely take note, thanks for the advice. Certainly not expecting to replicate this success anytime soon though.

ango

Post by ango » Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 pm

I am very impressed at your effort. I have seen plenty of bream in Kananook, and have tried to catch them on bait, a few times to but no success so far. I have seen them pretty much as far upstream as Seaford Woolies, so it could be an exciting fishery if you crack the code.
Cheers.

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am

ango wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 pm
I am very impressed at your effort. I have seen plenty of bream in Kananook, and have tried to catch them on bait, a few times to but no success so far. I have seen them pretty much as far upstream as Seaford Woolies, so it could be an exciting fishery if you crack the code.
Cheers.
Cheers mate, before I moved to Carrum Downs I would often fish the creek either from my kayak or land based. It took me about a year before I caught my first legal bream on bait, but 2 years later before I left I was consistently catching multiple good sized bream a session. This was always with bait, I found chicken, mussels, shrimps and worms produced good results. But it was a great experience to catch one on a plastic. It’s certainly an amazing fishery and one that I’ve grown very fond of. If you want any advice I’ll do my best to help you out. Cheers.

Return to “Bream Fishing”