smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Black Bream v Yellowfin Bream

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:32 pm

DougieK wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:12 pm
colnick wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:36 pm

I don't know Dougie. You willingly eat a salmon but sneer at a bream? Maybe it's a Victorian thing.

Compliments of the season, Col.
I'm not sneering at anything, they make a spectacular livebait.
Can second that, they last for ages with a pair of circle earrings
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm

DougieK wrote:
colnick wrote:

I don't know Dougie. You willingly eat a salmon but sneer at a bream? Maybe it's a Victorian thing.

Fair enough Dougie. Poor choice of words by me and tongue in cheek a bit.
I'm interested in some of the comments on this thread. Up here on the mid-north coast we only get yellow finned bream. I find that the taste and texture varies considerably depending on the water they came out of. Fish from the Myall River here tend to be bronze in colour and the flesh is palatable enough but can be a bit mushy. The same fish from the surf beach looks clean and silver and tastes better I reckon.
My only experience with black bream comes from my annual visit to Bemm River (come on February, we missed last year!). I don't know if its just the idyllic surroundings and the great company, but I much prefer the Bemm black bream to the yellow finned bream both in flavour and texture - and I have caught both at Bemm. I'd leave the last comment to the fish connoisseur extraordinaire (my wife!) She says "no contest, Bemm black bream, hands down"
Cheers, Col.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:06 pm

colnick wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm
DougieK wrote:
colnick wrote:

Fair enough Dougie. Poor choice of words by me and tongue in cheek a bit.
I'm interested in some of the comments on this thread. Up here on the mid-north coast we only get yellow finned bream. I find that the taste and texture varies considerably depending on the water they came out of. Fish from the Myall River here tend to be bronze in colour and the flesh is palatable enough but can be a bit mushy. The same fish from the surf beach looks clean and silver and tastes better I reckon.
My only experience with black bream comes from my annual visit to Bemm River (come on February, we missed last year!). I don't know if its just the idyllic surroundings and the great company, but I much prefer the Bemm black bream to the yellow finned bream both in flavour and texture - and I have caught both at Bemm. I'd leave the last comment to the fish connoisseur extraordinaire (my wife!) She says "no contest, Bemm black bream, hands down"
Cheers, Col.
I find yellow bream significantly easier to catch. The number of times i've got doubles or more while trying to get a slimey / yakka for a live bait and just ended up ballooning it out is significant. I don't eat them because if i'm fishing somewhere and catching yellows I'm probably catching something i'd prefer to eat. Yellow bream are a bicatch for me, but I imagine quite good fun on sensible gear.

The guy next to me at Hungry Head a few years back took one of these for a livie and I took the other one, his got absolutely obliterated by what I assume was a wide barred missile about 10 minutes later.

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Bream Fishing”