Beaumaris Squidding 7/12

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Beaumaris Squidding 7/12

Post by wishtofish » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:14 pm

Headed out to the pier today from 9:20 am to 12:00 pm
No squid today, saw a couple swimming around and had no interest in the jigs when they passed through, must have been because the water was VERY murky, only half a meter or so of visibility...
Was an enjoyable day and I got some new jigs before I went, didn't use them as I didn't want to lose them the day I bought them.
So I was throwing around different colours of the black magic squid jigs, lost 3 today :oo:
Oh well you live and you learn

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Beaumaris Squidding 7/12

Post by Lightningx » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:36 pm

I’ve caught plenty from that pier but was going to say becareful because I’ve lost a few jigs there as well.
Caught some nice Gars off there too if that’s something you are interested in.
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:32 pm

Sucks that the squid weren't biting!
Murky water always makes it very hard to hook up, rough on loosing the jigs! It's all practice finding out where those snag points are and you are bound to eventually lose a few jigs squids fishing. That's just the nature of the sport. Hopefully the clarity improves, unfortunately W winds all week.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Andrews wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:32 pm
Sucks that the squid weren't biting!
Murky water always makes it very hard to hook up, rough on loosing the jigs! It's all practice finding out where those snag points are and you are bound to eventually lose a few jigs squids fishing. That's just the nature of the sport. Hopefully the clarity improves, unfortunately W winds all week.
Yeah, was a lovely spot though will definitely be going back! The westerly wind means that the snapper will be pushed in close... so a good time to target them landbased this week which is nice. :wt:

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:36 pm
I’ve caught plenty from that pier but was going to say becareful because I’ve lost a few jigs there as well.
Cheers 👍🏻
Would love to catch some gars ill give it a go sometime, do they make good bait?
Also when fishing that pier, where do you tend to cast when going for squid... I found that most of the snags were on the left side and middle area of the right side. :tu:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:14 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:37 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Cheers 👍🏻
Would love to catch some gars ill give it a go sometime, do they make good bait?
Also when fishing that pier, where do you tend to cast when going for squid... I found that most of the snags were on the left side and middle area of the right side. :tu:
Great to eat, great snapper bait

You can catch squid there both sides. The left side is a shallower and rocky, so be careful on the left side.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:48 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Cheers 👍🏻
Yep you can send alot of jigs to the graveyard there was using 10lb leaders there lost a few jigs changed up to 16lb sunline fc dont lose jigs a catch rate still good .Cast on left hand side aim at the poles out wide right hand your casting in the right spots maybe count down when you jig hits the water and as i said not sure what leader lb leader you are using but 16lb i find is the go and for fishing equipment at the right price you have southern sports fishing not far away

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:02 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:48 pm
wishtofish wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Cheers 👍🏻
Yep you can send alot of jigs to the graveyard there was using 10lb leaders there lost a few jigs changed up to 16lb sunline fc dont lose jigs a catch rate still good .Cast on left hand side aim at the poles out wide right hand your casting in the right spots maybe count down when you jig hits the water and as i said not sure what leader lb leader you are using but 16lb i find is the go and for fishing equipment at the right price you have southern sports fishing not far away
Cheers mate might have to give that place a look, I've been going to compleat angler as it's one of my closest with the biggest range of decent stuff, was using 17-pound leader with uni knots, what sort of knots are you using? ill try casting there next time I go, as I was just working up and down the pier.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Iuse the improved albright knot 10 and then 5 wraps never had a problem easy to tie in any weather conditions use to use the uni knot but this is slimer and i think stronger only time i shop a complete angler is when they have there sales anyway next time your down at beaumaris checkout southern sports fishing

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:07 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Cheers 👍🏻
They make top bait mate 😃
I’ve caught from both sides and seem to get more snags casting on the left.
Cheers 👍🏻

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”