Has liked: 5 times

Re: Garfish

Post by dazz999 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:06 pm
Nice catch mate!
Good to see a gar report up :)
Enjoy the feed!
Cheers Thank,s mate there in plague portion,s at the moment which is fantastic but mixed size,s the big one,s will come

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:55 pm

4liters wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:51 pm
dazz999 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:16 pm
4liters wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:57 pm
How do you guys do it lol?

I went out after them last week at Clifton Springs and didn't get a single one.
Mate i gave you tip,s how to catch them there are ton,s around
Yeah, I followed the advice people gave me, with the exception of using maggots for bait because I still can't get my hands on any. The burley gave off a much finer cloud which people suggested would work better. I fished deep, I fished shallow, I adjusted the depth of the float several times, I drifted for them and tried anchoring up too. It just wasn't happening for whatever reason. Lots of pinkies and tommies but the only gars I saw was a small school I spooked while heading back after I'd used up all my burley.

I'll probably have another crack over the long weekend.
Okay sound,s like your doing most thing,s right .What are you using for bait i,m suprised you cant get maggot,s at your local tackle store.Two thing,s you can do to get your confidence with gar,s is go to you local pier and watch the guy who,s smashing them and/or position your kayak out from the pier and cast into the gar,s which should,nt cause any drama,s from the guy,s on the pier because you can see there float,s in the water and just anchor a little back from float,s

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:03 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:55 pm
4liters wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
4liters wrote:

Yeah, I followed the advice people gave me, with the exception of using maggots for bait because I still can't get my hands on any. The burley gave off a much finer cloud which people suggested would work better. I fished deep, I fished shallow, I adjusted the depth of the float several times, I drifted for them and tried anchoring up too. It just wasn't happening for whatever reason. Lots of pinkies and tommies but the only gars I saw was a small school I spooked while heading back after I'd used up all my burley.

Okay sound,s like your doing most thing,s right .What are you using for bait i,m suprised you cant get maggot,s at your local tackle store.Two thing,s you can do to get your confidence with gar,s is go to you local pier and watch the guy who,s smashing them and/or position your kayak out from the pier and cast into the gar,s which should,nt cause any drama,s from the guy,s on the pier because you can see there float,s in the water and just anchor a little back from float,s
Yeah I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet. I felt like I was doing most things right and sometimes you get donuts.

Marios stock maggots from time to time, first time they didn't have any, this time I didn't have time to go and get some before fishing.

I assume blokes still fish for them from Cunningham Pier in G town, I might head down there one day and suss it out.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:03 pm

dazz999 wrote:
4liters wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
4liters wrote:

Yeah I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet. I felt like I was doing most things right and sometimes you get donuts.

Marios stock maggots from time to time, first time they didn't have any, this time I didn't have time to go and get some before fishing.

I assume blokes still fish for them from Cunningham Pier in G town, I might head down there one day and suss it out.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:15 pm

4liters, you could try to make your own maggots I’ve done it before successfully, although you will have to contend with a pungent smell for a while. To make maggots get a fish carcass or piece of meat, place in a shoe box and cover in news paper. Wait a few days and it will be absolutely alive with maggots. After that you can either freeze them or use them fresh. I reckon the frozen ones work just as well.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:29 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:03 pm
dazz999 wrote:
4liters wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
4liters wrote:

Most my gars from gtown have been on dough on a paternosta rig...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:32 pm

4 L
I went to I/heads and St Leonards Pier area a few weeks ago
I netted 20 not biggins ,with a Flounder Light and Prawn Net
-Beats fushin for them

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:10 pm

denis barden wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:32 pm
4 L
I went to I/heads and St Leonards Pier area a few weeks ago
I netted 20 not biggins ,with a Flounder Light and Prawn Net
-Beats fushin for them
Off the pier or wading?

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Wading around the IH Ramp and wading in the St Leo Harbour-Adjacent to the Pier

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”