Sandringham again 26/11

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Sandringham again 26/11

Post by wishtofish » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:15 pm

Hey guys so headed out to the Sandringham rockwall fishing into the beach side at the end around 11 am today and fished till 5 pm, absolutely zilch except for small baby salmon hovering around the burley.
Also, some big puffers swimming around the rock wall.
Was fishing from 1 hour before high tide until 5 hours after for donuts... that's fishing I guess :(
Don't suppose there is anywhere else in the area that's any better?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Sandringham again 26/11

Post by bowl » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:28 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Hey guys so headed out to the Sandringham rockwall fishing into the beach side at the end around 11 am today and fished till 5 pm, absolutely zilch except for small baby salmon hovering around the burley.
Was fishing from 1 hour before high tide until 5 hours after for donuts... that's fishing I guess :(
Mate ya need to fish sunset or sunrise , night time.imo
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 pm

bowl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:28 pm
wishtofish wrote:
Will give it a go when I get the chance matey, stuck to takin public transport when I can’t get a lift so it’s a bit rough.. I do have a kayak that I’m yet to really get out on! If anyone’s got some nice areas to kayak to get my hands on some squid or pinkies help would be appreciated! Cheers for the tip bowl

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:32 am

wishtofish wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 pm
bowl wrote:
wishtofish wrote:
Will give it a go when I get the chance matey, stuck to takin public transport when I can’t get a lift so it’s a bit rough.. I do have a kayak that I’m yet to really get out on! If anyone’s got some nice areas to kayak to get my hands on some squid or pinkies help would be appreciated! Cheers for the tip bowl
I've never had much luck at Sandringham, never had consistency catching fish, it's a long time between drinks ! on the other hand I've had more catches more often at Brighton, squid, pinkies, gummies, whiting.

Yes all these species have graced my sink, if I were you I would move your operations to Brighton.. All my catches have been at night, from sundown till early hours of the morning. It's up to you to find the more productive spots on the pier.

But that comes with the amount of trips and time you put in. If you fish a place long enough you will wire it. Be alert watch who's catching what with what bait and rigs.

Always take note of the tide stage and wind direction and strength and water clarity when the actions on. You use these notes for future trips.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:59 am

Like bowl said, try to fish sunrise/sunset, best when coincides with the high tide to maximize your chances landbased. E.g. peak high tide 8:30pm, so fish like 6:30pm-10pm or something.

Kayak fishing is another topic altogether that can be lengthy.
Use the search function in this forum, there are good info already covered in the past that still relevant.
Last edited by Sebb on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:00 am

If you’re after snapper, I’ve always had luck around sunset and into the night mate.
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:33 am

I'll go against the consensus on this one and say fishing sunrise/sunset is nice, but you really don't have too. As someone who strictly fished days and heads home well before it gets dark, you can catch plenty of species during the day. Snapper, kgw, calamari the lot. It's more about the ecosystem you're fishing and the fish species behaviour you're targeting, sandy bottoms with eelgrass are killer for squid and kgw, while snapper like more of a reefy broken bottom.

Give zoom earth a scout for the right ecosystem to hold the species you're targeting!
https://zoom.earth/#view=-37.960933,145 ... ayers=esri
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:30 am

hornet wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:32 am
wishtofish wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 pm
bowl wrote:
wishtofish wrote:
I've never had much luck at Sandringham, never had consistency catching fish, it's a long time between drinks ! on the other hand I've had more catches more often at Brighton, squid, pinkies, gummies, whiting.

Yes all these species have graced my sink, if I were you I would move your operations to Brighton.. All my catches have been at night, from sundown till early hours of the morning. It's up to you to find the more productive spots on the pier.

But that comes with the amount of trips and time you put in. If you fish a place long enough you will wire it. Be alert watch who's catching what with what bait and rigs.

Always take note of the tide stage and wind direction and strength and water clarity when the actions on. You use these notes for future trips.
Haha the funny thing about that is I first headed to Brighton yesterday only to see that it was closed, that’s when I headed to sandy, cheers for that though I’ll give it a go when it’s open :rf:

wishtofish

Post by wishtofish » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:31 am

Andrews wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:33 am
I'll go against the consensus on this one and say fishing sunrise/sunset is nice, but you really don't have too. As someone who strictly fished days and heads home well before it gets dark, you can catch plenty of species during the day. Snapper, kgw, calamari the lot. It's more about the ecosystem you're fishing and the fish species behaviour you're targeting, sandy bottoms with eelgrass are killer for squid and kgw, while snapper like more of a reefy broken bottom.

Give zoom earth a scout for the right ecosystem to hold the species you're targeting!
https://zoom.earth/#view=-37.960933,145 ... ayers=esri
Thanks mate didn’t know about this, helps heaps!

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”