Karkarook tonight

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Karkarook tonight

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:16 pm

Went karkarook tonight with a mate and got onto one but something interesting happened

I'd fished using plastics for around half an hour, when my lure gets grabbed, but I miss the bite. Chuck it out again, this time I'm on.

Nice trout, 24cm, unhooked it, went to grab my camera, the next moment I turned around a bloody gull had grabbed it. I did chase after them but they'd already taken most of the meat so I put the carcass in the bin.

We decided we had to be the most unlucky fishermen so we packed up and left after only half an hour

Cheers

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Karkarook tonight

Post by croe04 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:22 pm

A gull? Karkarook is like 8km inland, you wouldn't think a gull would be hanging around.
Was the white bucket brigade out in force? Kinda what ruined karkarook for me and why I don't fish there anymore. Good job getting a fish though. Pretty rare to see them caught this long after a stocking. The place tends to get fished out within a few weeks of the school holidays, then becomes dead until the next one.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:17 pm

That's a story to tell
LoL
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

wem21

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 pm

croe04 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:22 pm
A gull? Karkarook is like 8km inland, you wouldn't think a gull would be hanging around.
Was the white bucket brigade out in force? Kinda what ruined karkarook for me and why I don't fish there anymore. Good job getting a fish though. Pretty rare to see them caught this long after a stocking. The place tends to get fished out within a few weeks of the school holidays, then becomes dead until the next one.
Yeah gulls, there's a massive flock that come over whenever someone leaves some food left over at the picnic tables

Yeah it was tough going, we went there a few times before this for donuts, white bucket brigade was there in small numbers (2-3)

I really dislike how they go and catch all the fish before the families (who the trout are stocked for) can even get to the lake, at least release some please?

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:49 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 pm
croe04 wrote:
Yeah gulls, there's a massive flock that come over whenever someone leaves some food left over at the picnic tables

Yeah it was tough going, we went there a few times before this for donuts, white bucket brigade was there in small numbers (2-3)

I really dislike how they go and catch all the fish before the families (who the trout are stocked for) can even get to the lake, at least release some please?
Precisely. White bucket brigade is exponentially worse in the school holidays, whenever I used to go there always there would be blokes sitting there for hours just getting their bag (some even going blatantly over the bag limit) and leaving, and because there are no size limits on trout in lakes they would take these tiny little 15-20cm fish which have probably only been in there for the best part of a week. Hardly ever saw families getting any fish, and within weeks the lake becomes pretty much a ghost town. Completely ruins the point of family fishing lakes and really annoys me. Reddies used to be abundant in karkarook too but now I seldom see them caught probably because of the same reason. Eventually I just stopped going because I just didn't like it there anymore.

wem21

Post by wem21 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:25 am

croe04 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:49 pm
wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 pm
croe04 wrote:

Precisely. White bucket brigade is exponentially worse in the school holidays, whenever I used to go there always there would be blokes sitting there for hours just getting their bag (some even going blatantly over the bag limit) and leaving, and because there are no size limits on trout in lakes they would take these tiny little 15-20cm fish which have probably only been in there for the best part of a week. Hardly ever saw families getting any fish, and within weeks the lake becomes pretty much a ghost town. Completely ruins the point of family fishing lakes and really annoys me. Reddies used to be abundant in karkarook too but now I seldom see them caught probably because of the same reason. Eventually I just stopped going because I just didn't like it there anymore.
It is such a shame, and I don't think I've seen a single fisheries officer there at all, which might be the cause of people going over the bag...

Fisheries should train them to not take bait and only lures :p

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”