Re: brighton pier

Post by whambamsam » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:51 pm

croe04 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:45 pm
whambamsam wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:28 pm
I think I found your giant flatty there today - just shy of 60cm I think

awesome fun on a light rod
Thats a nice flatty from brighton, on plastics too! That looks like the pier part of brighton to me, never had any success in places other than the breakwall, whats your strategy for around there?
Have never had any luck casting ocean side - essentially have been flicking plastics from the inside of the pier all the way up to the gate, then going around the bend and casting inwards to the boats from the pier then working my way to the breakwall. There's a really nice dropoff there where all the fish seem to lurk. Seems best on the runout too, haven't really had much luck when the tide is on its way in.

I think I prefer the area where the pier meets the breakwall, simply because I don't have to worry about snagging at all. There are a bunch of hidden rocks in that channel from the "hut" onwards.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:21 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Oooooow, isn't this exciting , , , , The Warmies Whopper has been solved , , , , ,now , , , ,

The Brighton Banditto :o_0:

Looking forward to the next instalment :-D

Cheers, Bug
Dude it.s a big flatty
dazz, I believe you bud.

I recently heard a story of someone (a believable someone) who pulled in a monster Flattie hear in SA.

I've nicknamed this Brighton Pier Beast of a Flattie the "Brighton Banditto", but actually you get naming rights, so if you think this elusive beast should be called something else, we shall go with what you think (make it ominous sounding if you can though :-D ).

Cheers, Bugs

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:44 pm

wem21 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:46 pm

What was the warmies whopper again?
wem, it's a BIG ray

http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... 23&t=23502

Cheers, Bugs

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:31 pm

whambamsam wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:28 pm
I think I found your giant flatty there today - just shy of 60cm I think

awesome fun on a light rod
Na you caught Barry he,s son .Great flatty you would of got some great fillet,s

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Headed out to Brighton tonight, 8-10:15
The moment I put my plastic in the water there was a row of quick nibbles and no hookup, this continued for the whole retrieve. Pulled the plastic out of the water and the tail was demolished. This went on and off for a few casts, until I managed to get onto one, tiny little 20cm pinky. I started moving around, still plagued with micro pinkies, until I hooked into a small flattie, shook itself off the hook before I could land it. Probably undersize by the feel of it, around 20 mark. Around 9pm I saw what I thought was a squid following, swapped to a jig but no luck :( other people weren't catching jack except for a few micropinkies, but 2-3 people managed to land small squid. There was a bloke fishing the end of the bathhouse area who pulled up a 40cm hood which was nice.
Good night to be out, just a shame it was a northerly wind.
Cheers
Cheers

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 pm

wem21 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 pm
Headed out to Brighton tonight, 8-10:15
The moment I put my plastic in the water there was a row of quick nibbles and no hookup, this continued for the whole retrieve. Pulled the plastic out of the water and the tail was demolished. This went on and off for a few casts, until I managed to get onto one, tiny little 20cm pinky. I started moving around, still plagued with micro pinkies, until I hooked into a small flattie, shook itself off the hook before I could land it. Probably undersize by the feel of it, around 20 mark. Around 9pm I saw what I thought was a squid following, swapped to a jig but no luck :( other people weren't catching jack except for a few micropinkies, but 2-3 people managed to land small squid. There was a bloke fishing the end of the bathhouse area who pulled up a 40cm hood which was nice.
Good night to be out, just a shame it was a northerly wind.
Cheers
Cheers
Good to see fish actually getting caught in brighton even if they are tiny, squid too. The nibbles and the destroyed plastic is pretty indicative of toadies, I always get plagued by them when fishing during sunlight hours, their beaks shred half the plastic off in seconds. On days when the water is clear i've spotted schools at at least 50 of them cruising around the pylons near the baths, so many of them around. the ZMan elaztec stuff prevents your plastics from getting ruined which is a bonus, now I pretty much only use them.
Might head back to brighton now that the squid have turned up.
Cheers

whambamsam
Has liked: 12 times

Post by whambamsam » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:30 pm

agree - heaps of toadies around in that area... and they seem to be the ones responsible for chewing off tails. Have switched over from the berkley gulps to the zmans instead because of how often my tails were getting chewed off...

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:16 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 pm
ZMan elaztec stuff prevents your plastics from getting ruined which is a bonus, now I pretty much only use them.

Cheers
What have you guys done to me :o_0:

First I have started reading this lure & soft plastic stuff AND found it quite compelling

Now

I'm getting the urge to start asking questions

That ZMan elaztec , what is it? Is it a type of soft plastic or like a scent rub or ????
And also, why do the Toadies seem to not hit those or not hit those as much?

Cheers, BugZMan

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:16 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 pm
ZMan elaztec stuff prevents your plastics from getting ruined which is a bonus, now I pretty much only use them.

Cheers
What have you guys done to me :o_0:

First I have started reading this lure & soft plastic stuff AND found it quite compelling

Now

I'm getting the urge to start asking questions

That ZMan elaztec , what is it? Is it a type of soft plastic or like a scent rub or ????
And also, why do the Toadies seem to not hit those or not hit those as much?

Cheers, BugZMan
ZMan Elaztech is a type of soft plastic 'technology' that makes the plastic really stretchy and abrasion resistant. They're a godsend, you practically never get your plastics torn apart or damaged by fish/snags and they're easier to put on jigheads without ripping or damaging the plastic if you muck it up. The toadies do hit them believe me, but because they're so elasticated their beaks cant get purchase and bite chunks out of your plastic. Only real downside is that they're a bit annoying to store because of how reactive they are with specific materials, if you store them outside their packet or with other plastics they have a tendency to melt. I think Zman were the first to do it (don't quote me on that), but now other brands have started to follow suit too which is good.

Edit: Bugs to give you an indication of how good this elaztech stuff is - I just did a little test where I took one of my little 6cm zman minnowz and stretched it out to about 45cm with no indication of damage or ripping, barely any tension either. It's an awesome feature, with my non zman plastics I can barely get 1-2cm of give out of them before they tear in half.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Wow, thanks croe, that was well put

They sound pretty awesome, and that's from the abrasive resistance and how far they stretch. Normally you have to forego one of those qualities for the other when talking plastics/silicone. And can appreciate that would make them great SP's. I know what you mean about the basic ones, I have torn many with my clumsy attempts to put a jighead on them, not surprising the basic ones have another undesirable quality, when torn trying to put a jighead on, they have a tendency to make me swear , , , , is that normal :-D

I do remember a ways back about a thread about those "melting"

Thanks again, gives me a better appreciation of what you guys do, even before the first cast

Cheers, Bugs

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”