Anyone selling Bardi grubs?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Anyone selling Bardi grubs?

Post by Brett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Bit of light reading and a pretty good explanation of which is which, though most of the larger grubs(witchetty and bardi) will work as cod bait.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchetty_grub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gecko61

Post by gecko61 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:28 pm

bardi grubs live under the ground and feed of the root systems of certain gum trees. some holes are over a metre deep and extracting them requires a bit of skill and being able to distinguish between old holes and occupied holes. it s great fun with the kids and to pull a 3 to 4 inch bardi out of its hole is just as exciting as fishing lol. ps you wont find them uder pot plants cheers

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I Gotta' say , I never really considered them as bait, as they are so large and ugly. I've came across a few smaller greyish' ones over time too (like under pot plants or rocks as people mentioned) and considered using them, but just stuck to maggots when using bait like that.
I guess I've just always considered them as Aboriginal food ! . They recon' they taste like peanut butter , so maybe peanut on a hook would work just as well :tongue:
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 pm

they are great bait...bad thing is that carp love them
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Going back to the original question, the only places I know that sell them is Q-Tackle in Geelong and Ray Long's Tackle in Geelong

WyldFisher

Post by WyldFisher » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm thinking about selling some this season in Geelong area.

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Is there any way of storing these grubs to keep them alive ?. Within 'around' a week I usually come across around at 'least' 8 of these grubs.
Not much point in me selling/posting out just 8 grubs ! , if I could store them for a month or so as I built them up , then I maybe able to supply a few to you guys ?
I'm around the Warragul area, so probably not so much sought after by the fish we get around here. All small mouth fish around here ( apart from the carp )

Cheers , Rick
Last edited by rixter on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:50 pm

yes when u catch/find them you should just freeze them
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 pm

barra mick wrote:yes when u catch/find them you should just freeze them
Serious ? , doesn't ruin them like it does freezing saltwater bait (as in fresh bait is always better usually)?
Do they work just as well after being thawed out as a fresh wriggling one would ?
I know they are just mush inside anyway, but I would of thought that after freezing and thawing out , that they would turn to total mush like a garden worm does after being frozen and thawed out ? (like freezing fruit , the cells containing moisture slowly expand during the freezing process, popping the cells that hold the structure together, so when unfrozen turns to mush / unless instant snap frozen like with dry ice ). Reason why many frozen goods from the freezer are never the same after thawing ! / fresh is best.

The smaller ones any good for trout ? , I know the trout like maggots , those smaller ones look like large maggots imo.
I've never tried them , but now maybe considering trying a few of the small ones I come across on the trout when season kicks in again.

Cheers , Rick
Last edited by rixter on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 pm

rixter wrote:Is there any way of storing these grubs to keep them alive ?.......................................
barra mick wrote:yes when u catch/find them you should just freeze them
I'm not sure rixter if barra mick read your detail about keeping them alive! We shall soon find out! :)
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Fishing sales, deals and bargains”