CA box hill closing down sale

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: CA box hill closing down sale

Post by poodoo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:06 am

Most local tackle shops will match online local shops. Certain things are obviously cheaper over seas if you know the price of things.
The other aspect is distribution arms or middle men making a killing in the middle probably due to the size of the market in oz. Just means retailers have to either sell in bulk with low margins or sell the occasional item with a bigger mark up.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:43 pm

poodoo wrote:Most local tackle shops will match online local shops. Certain things are obviously cheaper over seas if you know the price of things.
The other aspect is distribution arms or middle men making a killing in the middle probably due to the size of the market in oz. Just means retailers have to either sell in bulk with low margins or sell the occasional item with a bigger mark up.
Quite a few have prices identical to Australian online shops.
Comparing os shops to locals whether b&m or online only doesn't work. You have the cost of the item from the manufacturer and the associated container costs. Distribution company have to pass on those costs, and add some to pay their staff from warehouse to sales reps, warehouse costs, bills plus make a little bit of money. Then the actual store has to pass on the costs from the distributor plus their postage costs and add some to pay shop staff, store rent and bills and make the smallest of money. The costs of postage and labour in this country are sky high. A warehouse **** kicker wouldn't get up for work for less than $18 and hour. A quick Google reveals even American warehouse **** kickers are on far less than that. That's just one job of many. A shops margin on a +$300 reel? Less than a pineapple on pretty much all of them.

Hanging it on a local b&m store for high prices compared to os online shops is disingenuous to those running and working in the shops. Fishing retail is a **** of a job. Pays average and in a lot of cases people don't have a clue what they're after or what they need then crack it when the advice you give from experience isn't what they want to hear. I know I had quite a few doozys when I worked in retail.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:39 pm

cobby wrote:
poodoo wrote:Most local tackle shops will match online local shops. Certain things are obviously cheaper over seas if you know the price of things.
Quite a few have prices identical to Australian online shops.
Comparing os shops to locals whether b&m or online only doesn't work. You have the cost of the item from the manufacturer and the associated container costs. Distribution company have to pass on those costs, and add some to pay their staff from warehouse to sales reps, warehouse costs, bills plus make a little bit of money. Then the actual store has to pass on the costs from the distributor plus their postage costs and add some to pay shop staff, store rent and bills and make the smallest of money. The costs of postage and labour in this country are sky high. A warehouse sh*t kicker wouldn't get up for work for less than $18 and hour. A quick Google reveals even American warehouse sh*t kickers are on far less than that. That's just one job of many. A shops margin on a +$300 reel? Less than a pineapple on pretty much all of them.

Hanging it on a local b&m store for high prices compared to os online shops is disingenuous to those running and working in the shops. Fishing retail is a sh*t of a job. Pays average and in a lot of cases people don't have a clue what they're after or what they need then crack it when the advice you give from experience isn't what they want to hear. I know I had quite a few doozys when I worked in retail.
This, I have worked in a tackle shop in the past, and I dont know how so many are still open tbh.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:26 pm

well who would have thunk it? the ca in flinders street is just across from my work, LETSSS GOO BUY SOME LURESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:42 pm

quick update, i have gonne to ca and bought myself a packet of strike tiger nymph in copper berry colour, also some jig heads for that. also i tried to get some bigger jigs or some other lures i have but being the dumass i am i was short and i had to put the jig heads back.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:42 pm

Weird reason for a 6 year thread necro. But ok.

Return to “Fishing sales, deals and bargains”