Anything worth chasing in Bass strait this coming Saturday?

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Anything worth chasing in Bass strait this coming Saturday?

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm

hi all
Due to the increase of good weather Im thinking of heading out in my boat for a day in bass strait this coming Saturday.
does anyone know if there is much out there?
anyone know any good spots out there to try this time of year?

i fished off mornington on Saturday managing 7 flathead, a few good ones but they were hard to find, water temp only 11.0 degrees, and had a good run on a 8kg rod but 15kg trace broke at the knot, thinking a nice gummy or a ray,

could i aspect the same sort of water temp out in bass strait?
what is worth targeting out there this time of year?
on my boat we have dropped 2 gummy s over 7 foot and a mako shark this year, only landed 1 gummy about 12kg from bass strait,
i carry about 120lt of fuel so can do about 70NM

any suggestions?

cheers ricki

slinga

Re: Anything worth chasing in Bass strait this coming Saturd

Post by slinga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:04 pm

2 Gummys over 7-foot!!!!!!!

Have to be some sought of record.

At 6ft they are nudging 30kg.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Cretts

Post by Cretts » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:29 pm

slinga wrote:2 Gummys over 7-foot!!!!!!!

hahahhahaa largest one ever recorded on fisheries data is 1.93m, the heaviest 36kgs, thats from ~5% of commercial data (5% of all commercial shark catches in vic since the 1960's). 5% because thats about how much time fisheries spend on commercial shark boats recording their captures.

there are a heap of smaller gummies around, got 5 (3 borderline size and 2 about 4-5kgs) in a couple of hours on the weekend from westernport off the beach.

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Cretts wrote:

hahahhahaa largest one ever recorded on fisheries data is 1.93m, the heaviest 36kgs, thats from ~5% of commercial data (5% of all commercial shark catches in vic since the 1960's). 5% because thats about how much time fisheries spend on commercial shark boats recording their captures.

there are a heap of smaller gummies around, got 5 (3 borderline size and 2 about 4-5kgs) in a couple of hours on the weekend from westernport off the beach.

36kgs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine that scream off :bolt:
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

fishfan

Post by fishfan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Thats a lot of flake!! :super: :super: :super: :super: :super:
IF FISHING IS A SPORT
I'M AN ATHLETE

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:27 pm

slinga wrote:
Cretts wrote:

36kgs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to get one of those monster 20kg plus models scream off. Can only dream of a. 30kg fish. That number gets thrown around all too often.

Dunno what's around in bass straight at this time of year. Surely the pinkys would be around as they move into the bays

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 pm

There's plenty around, you just have to find it. Gummies, flatties, snapper and even the odd mako are still around out there if you stumble across the right area.
From what I understand, target, reefy areas, around the 25 to 50m mark

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:46 pm

ducky wrote: I cannot wait to get one of those monster 20kg plus models scream off. Can only dream of a. 30kg fish. That number gets thrown around all too often.

Dunno what's around in bass straight at this time of year. Surely the pinkys would be around as they move into the bays
They are not that exciting, very similar to a big flatty where the larger specimens are slow not many head shakes but heavy.

The mid sized ones are a lot more fun particularly on lightish gear.

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 pm

frozenpod wrote:
ducky wrote: I cannot wait to get one of those monster 20kg plus models scream off. Can only dream of a. 30kg fish. That number gets thrown around all too often.

They are not that exciting, very similar to a big flatty where the larger specimens are slow not many head shakes but heavy.

The mid sized ones are a lot more fun particularly on lightish gear.
Well that's not correct, as every fish fights different.

Seen and heard stories of big Gummys stripping 200m of line in one run. Yet, another big Gummy may not fight anywhere near aswell.

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:17 pm

ducky wrote:
slinga wrote:
Cretts wrote:

36kgs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to get one of those monster 20kg plus models scream off. Can only dream of a. 30kg fish. That number gets thrown around all too often.

20kg would more than satisfy me lol.

Only thing I've seen that gets close to 30kg was one Warren Carter caught in WP.

Not to say it hasn't been done though...

Return to “Shark Fishing”