Gummy sharks bleeding techniques - how do you do it?

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
brad21red

Gummy sharks bleeding techniques - how do you do it?

Post by brad21red » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:37 am

Just trying to find out how people bleed a gummy shark when they land one. What technique/tools do you use? Also how soon after landing it?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Gummy sharks bleeding techniques - how do you do it?

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:40 am

Straight away, cut to the back of the head to the spinal cord. Give or take 50-100 mm behind the eyes.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:02 pm

I just head and gut them after a quick photo. Make sure to strip all the blood membrane out of the gut cavity. Legal measure is from the rear Gill slit to the base of the tail. So fisheries can still do the measurements if head is gone.
Straight into cold seawater helps flush remaining blood.
Large Esky with a couple of frozen 2 litre bottles of water. Put the carcass in, add a bucket of seawater. Fish should come out stiff.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Re-tyred is the best method.

Ignore the idiots of social media only cutting the back of the head for the photo opp at the end of the day.

Remove head, fins and tail, guts and clean the spine blood line. This leaves you with a trunk that is legal for measurement

Then hang upside down in cold sea water, if it is summer I add ice.

After about 10 minutes put on ice in esky.

Removing the tail helps the remaining blood etc leave the flesh.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:11 pm

brad21red wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:37 am
Just trying to find out how people bleed a gummy shark when they land one. What technique/tools do you use? Also how soon after landing it?
from a kayakers veiw - I cut there throat as soon as landed and head spike them - from there gut them and check there gut for mantis shrimp ( a good bait even second hand from a gummy gut ) and of cause clean the blood line from the gut cavity
then it's straight into the fish hatch

I keep the head and back of the head intact as I use this for a handle when skinning them as I find this the easiest way for me
others have different views on this
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:57 pm

Frozenpod has it right... almost. Remove the tail before final wash and ice bath - by that time he's not going to flap around!!

once filleted, cut the 'scallops' on an acute angle, so you get large diameter, thin slices.
Coat in say TANDACO fish seasoning and cook in hot-shallow-oil pan....
my-god!!! I'm salivating and drooling on the keyboooooooooooaaarrrhhh..

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:50 pm

FB_IMG_1626687522239.jpg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm

Knife straight through the heart down from the mouth and gut straight away. Dont go cutting big chunks out of the back of the head looks crap in photo and doesn’t bleed them out properly. Blood is held in the heart and guts not the top of the head

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:17 pm

I’ve seen one of the better known fishos, Gawaine maybe, do it that way with the knife up into the heart. A lot of blood came out so I guess it works but I haven’t caught a gummy since I saw that.

Only reason I’d cut the back of the head is to sever the spinal cord, it stops them thrashing much quicker than brain spiking them alone which is handy in the kayak where they can cause a ruckus. Next one I catch I plan on trying to sever the spine with a cut from under the jaw/gills to try and hit the heart at the same time.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:20 am

4liters wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:17 pm
Only reason I’d cut the back of the head is to sever the spinal cord, it stops them thrashing much quicker than brain spiking them alone which is handy in the kayak where they can cause a ruckus.
you must be aiming wrong Ian they slow down pretty quick if you hit the spot from what I've found
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Shark Fishing”