Preserving a shark jaw

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Preserving a shark jaw

Post by trout-hunter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Hey everyone, since im home a lot of the time now ive decided to try and preserve a shark jaw ive had in the freezer for the last 3 years, i found a dead mako at phillip island, it was only half of it but i seen its chompers and thought I'd try to preserve it, i got my bowie knife out of the car and walked up to the rotten carcass that stunk to the point i was dry reaching, cut its jaw out and put the rest in a rock pool for the crabs, anyway its now is a good time to figure out how to do it.. ive put it on an ants nest on our front stairs (wife aint happy at all) but im hoping the ants will get to work on it quick smart because it still stinks! Ive put a stick in its mouth to keep it open aswell.. does anyone know if theres anything else that i need to do? Ive done a bit of taxidermy before on rabbits and foxes but the closest thing to this was a turtle shell that the ants cleaned up real nice. Do i need salts or anything on the jaw? Cheers everyone

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Preserving a shark jaw

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Check out YouTube. There are a fair few videos on preserving and mounting shark jaws.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:57 pm

What ever you do don’t boil them the teeth will fall out speaking from experience

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:50 am

I have no idea on a solution for you but god it’s funny the thought of a bloke putting a stinking old sharks jaw on an ants nest on his front stairs and having to explain it to his pissed off missus

Good luck to you lol
Last edited by Kimtown on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:52 am

Nude up wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:57 pm
What ever you do don’t boil them the teeth will fall out speaking from experience
Haha was going to do that because i remember Quinn from JAWS doing that..

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 am

Kimtown wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:50 am
I have no idea on a solution for you but god it’s funny the thought of a bloke putting a stinking old sharks jaw on an ants nest in his front stairs and having to explain it to his pissed off missus

Good luck to you lol
Mate, you wanna see some of the stuff she puts up with.. whenever we would blue about anything i usta get my fresh water crock out of it pond and sit it in the doorway of the bedroom, no way would she step over it so i just left it there and have the whole house to myself, what really rocked the boat is when i picked up a tiger snake that i thought was dead, chucked it on her lap in the car then it slithered off her lap and went under her seat. God i coped it for that lol..

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:28 am

Mate you sound like Crocodile Dundee. I reckon if I had a pet crocodile and used it against my misus, I'll prob find it swimming in a big boiling pot of soup for next nights dinner lol

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:26 am

trout-hunter wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 am
Kimtown wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:50 am
I have no idea on a solution for you but god it’s funny the thought of a bloke putting a stinking old sharks jaw on an ants nest in his front stairs and having to explain it to his pissed off missus

Good luck to you lol
Mate, you wanna see some of the stuff she puts up with.. whenever we would blue about anything i usta get my fresh water crock out of it pond and sit it in the doorway of the bedroom, no way would she step over it so i just left it there and have the whole house to myself, what really rocked the boat is when i picked up a tiger snake that i thought was dead, chucked it on her lap in the car then it slithered off her lap and went under her seat. God i coped it for that lol..

:o_0: :o_0:

My dad locked me in the garage with a cobra when i was a kid,
we both walked in , in the dark. I heard the snake and flicked a light on.
He bolted and locked me in :(

I was 11

the snake slithered away and I knocked on the door.
He opened and felt real embarrassed.
:rf:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Shark Fishing”