Slide Baiting for Bronzies

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Johand

Re: Slide Baiting for Bronzies

Post by Johand » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Do you need a fancy rod .NO.
Back then ,we all had 1 piece rods to handle the sinker weight
the rod shaking and a great white or bronzie pulling you out your shoes
Something to be able to cast 10 oz sinker.
We all used 14 ft rods.overhead reels,
Over the counter rods were assassin and poseidon rods.
If we used a 3 piece rod ,we have the joints reinforced with xtra binding to take the strain.
To start off you need about a 14 ft rigid rod to be able to tow a bus.Couple of pills for the burn.

Johand

Post by Johand » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:14 pm

When i came across from Cape Town I brought with me sliders, bait clips,and a 3 piece rod with re enforced joints to cast 7 oz sinkers.Most of my fishing that side was for mullaway.Shark fishing is for the young and fit.
Sliders you can make,bait clips you can make,Fancy break sinkers you can make.
Anybody needing a show how give a shout make a turn and i can show all i know.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Make sure you have a rod capable of casting some serious lead. We're using AFAW 6 and baits from busted fishing and 20k + sized reels with 80-100lb mono topshots.

We've had some great fun sliding live squid off a local rock ledge the last few years.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Here’s an example of the rods they use.. Loomis Sharky rated 9oz

http://www.ganis.co.za/pi2230/fishing-r ... sting.html

Hectic habbib

Post by Hectic habbib » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 pm

Try Portarlington for yakkas, you should get heaps of them also salmon at night. I use that for sharks

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:11 am

Johand wrote:Do you need a fancy rod .NO.
Back then ,we all had 1 piece rods to handle the sinker weight
the rod shaking and a great white or bronzie pulling you out your shoes
Something to be able to cast 10 oz sinker.
We all used 14 ft rods.overhead reels,
Over the counter rods were assassin and poseidon rods.
If we used a 3 piece rod ,we have the joints reinforced with xtra binding to take the strain.
To start off you need about a 14 ft rigid rod to be able to tow a bus.Couple of pills for the burn.
I ordered my Poseidon rods from a South African site called Big Catch, they probably still ship here if anyone is interested.

What weight mainline do you guys run?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 am

dazz999 wrote:
Johand wrote:The sliders get used to get a big bait eg 1 kg You could never cast that weight out behind the surf line.
Take a surf rod you normally use put the sinker on and cast that,easy normal cast.
Once thats done now you attach your slider with a big bait eg a 2 kg live tailor
Place the live bait in the water and the bait swims towards your sinker.

This is often used in South Africa to catch mullaway

If its a dead bait eg kingfish head not a live bait ,now you must shake the rod,not as bad as if you are squiding but strike strike or shake shake for about 10 minutes to get that dead bait sliding up to the sinker.Its a lot of work and you will look like a clown :o_0: shaking a 14 ft rod on the beach but great rewards.
i like to learn different style,s can you give us the spec,s of the rod you use Thank,s

https://www.bustedfishing.com/?store-pa ... ort=normal

Frank from Busted fishing recommended these. Its the same one Dougiek uses as well.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 am

4liters wrote:
I ordered my Poseidon rods from a South African site called Big Catch, they probably still ship here if anyone is interested.

What weight mainline do you guys run?

Thanks will check em out.
Ideally I want to be running 50lb braid with a topshot of 50lb mono. with a front end 80lb for abrasian .
But given that im looking to reprupose a smaller reel at the moment, im running 30lb braid /30lb mono/80lb abrasive leader
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:10 am

smokin_reels wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
Johand wrote:The sliders get used to get a big bait eg 1 kg You could never cast that weight out behind the surf line.
Take a surf rod you normally use put the sinker on and cast that,easy normal cast.
Once thats done now you attach your slider with a big bait eg a 2 kg live tailor

If its a dead bait eg kingfish head not a live bait ,now you must shake the rod,not as bad as if you are squiding but strike strike or shake shake for about 10 minutes to get that dead bait sliding up to the sinker.Its a lot of work and you will look like a clown :o_0: shaking a 14 ft rod on the beach but great rewards.
i like to learn different style,s can you give us the spec,s of the rod you use Thank,s

Frank from Busted fishing recommended these. Its the same one Dougiek uses as well.
Myself, CarlG, Adtrac and poodoo all use that rod. It lives up to it's name......

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:22 am

DougieK wrote:
smokin_reels wrote:
dazz999 wrote:

Myself, CarlG, Adtrac and poodoo all use that rod. It lives up to it's name......

Great Picture! :) Not too sure if id have the stones to fish off the stones. getting a bit of vertigo just thinking about it

Return to “Shark Fishing”