Fishing Bag Rubber Coating Upgrade

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Fishing Bag Rubber Coating Upgrade

Post by Andrews » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 pm

Hey everyone!

I wanted to share a little DIY project that I worked on today.
I purchased this awesome Daiwa Emeraldas squid jig bag which was made to fit their Emeraldas and it worked perfectly. One thing I wished it had when I got it was either a reinforced bottom or a material a bit more abrasion resistant. Resting on a wooden pier with splinters, I knew we would have issues with fraying.
IMG_6742.JPEG
Few months in and corner started to fray which sucks but was expected. I decided to fix that and upgrade the bay so it's more water resistant, abrasion resistant and sturdy in rain, hail and shine.

I went with this liquid rubber in clean looking to soak that into the material the same way you would wax a canvas. I went this synthetic over wax because in the hot summer sun the wax would melt, and the synthetic rubber has more stretch and pliability.
IMG_6746.JPEG
First few coats and we are looking good, added a nice glossy finish and the weave was soaking up the material making it stronger.
Underside had a single coat and the cover flap had two.
IMG_6748.JPEG
IMG_6750.JPEG
Let the brother do the back side and he went a little thick, dripped a little. Couple more layers on the bottom and backside about three total and it's looking a bit better. If you are going to go thick on one side, it is the backside which rests against the esky.
IMG_6757.JPEG
Gave it all a few hours, already drying nicely and it is feeling tougher, less pliable and more resistant to abrasion. Might not look perfect, but it will last way longer than the original would. Harsh conditions on the pier should have nothing on the bag.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Re: Fishing Bag Rubber Coating Upgrade

Post by dmck » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Great tip, I've always used wax but this looks more robust.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Thats a great little mod. I have the same bag and I've had it for about 5 years now. Sparingly used ofcourse and its not damaged yet.
Cheers

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Definitely an awesome bag, I think what is playing against me was placing it down on the pier, I had a few small splinters in the bottom and the pier being made of wood. Should last a bit longer this way.
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:07 pm

Quick update on the bag, since adding the liquid rubber I've been caught in a few rain storms and left it sitting on a wet pier.
Had no issues what so ever, and it has been holding up like a champ. I'll give an update in another six months, haha.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”